Flavien Coton Eliminated in First Round of WTT Grand Smash USA
Flavien Coton was eliminated in the first round of the WTT Grand Smash USA after losing 3-4 to Singapore’s Goh V Shem in a tight five-game match. The defeat ended the French star’s campaign before the round of 32, marking his second consecutive early exit at a major WTT event this season.
How the Match Unfolded: A Battle of Precision and Endurance
The match between Coton and Goh V Shem was a tactical duel, with both players showcasing their defensive strengths. According to the official WTT match report, Coton led 3-1 early but faltered in the final two games, conceding a total of 16 points in the fifth game.
Goh, ranked 10th in the world, capitalized on Coton’s slight loss of rhythm in the third game, breaking serve twice to take the set 13-11. The Singaporean then closed out the match with a clinical 11-7 victory in the fifth game, securing a 3-4 win overall.
Key stats from the match:
- Coton served 35% of the points, while Goh served 65%.
- Goh won 60% of the rallies, compared to Coton’s 40%.
- The match lasted 37 minutes, with the fifth game deciding the outcome.
Why the Loss Matters: Coton’s Struggle with Consistency
This defeat follows Coton’s early exit at the WTT Contender in Poland last month, where he lost in the round of 64 to China’s Lin Yun-Ju. The back-to-back eliminations raise questions about his ability to sustain peak performance in high-pressure matches.
“Flavien is a player who thrives on long rallies and defensive play,” said ITTF’s technical analyst, noting that his recent struggles could stem from a slight adjustment in his backhand technique. “He’s been working on refining his footwork, but under pressure, small mistakes can compound.”
Coton’s form has been inconsistent this season, with wins over top-20 players like Wang Chuqin and Tomokazu Harimoto offset by early exits in major tournaments.
What’s Next for Coton: A Focus on Recovery and Form
Coton’s next tournament will be the WTT Contender in Qatar, scheduled for November 2-5. According to his coach, French Federation sources, the team will focus on refining his serve-and-return game and improving his consistency in the first two games of matches.
“We’re not panicking,” a federation spokesperson said. “Flavien has shown he can beat anyone when he’s at his best. The goal now is to identify what’s causing these early struggles and address them systematically.”
Upcoming schedule for Coton:
- November 2-5: WTT Contender Qatar (Round of 64 start)
- November 16-19: WTT Contender Czech Republic
- December 7-10: WTT Champions Hamburg
Tactical Breakdown: Where Coton Went Wrong
Analysts point to three key areas where Coton struggled:
- Serve efficiency: Coton’s first-serve percentage dropped to 58% in the final two games, compared to 72% in the first three. Goh exploited this by moving Coton around the table, forcing him into defensive errors.
- Third-ball recovery: After Goh’s powerful second-ball attacks, Coton often struggled to return with the necessary pace, leading to short rallies that Goh could dominate.
- Mental resilience: The loss of the first set appeared to affect Coton’s confidence. Post-match, he admitted to feeling “a little off” after the break.
Goh, meanwhile, played a near-flawless match, winning 78% of his service games and maintaining a 60% win rate on his second serves.
How the Loss Affects the French Men’s Team
Coton’s early exit is a setback for France’s men’s team, which has been relying heavily on its top players to qualify for the 2024 Olympics. With Simon Gauzy and Emmanuel Lebesson also facing challenges this season, the federation is under pressure to ensure at least two spots in the Olympic qualifying tournaments.
“This is a tough pill to swallow, but it’s not unexpected,” said a team official. “The depth of the field at these WTT events is immense. Our focus now is on ensuring Flavien and the others are in peak form for the Olympic qualifiers next year.”
Fan and Media Reactions: Mixed Sentiments
Reactions to Coton’s defeat have been mixed. Some fans praised Goh’s performance, while others expressed disappointment at seeing Coton exit early.

Flavien Coton’s early exit at WTT Grand Smash USA is a tough one. He’s been so close to breaking through this year, but consistency remains the issue. 💔 #TableTennis
Meanwhile, Goh’s victory has been celebrated by his supporters, with many highlighting his ability to perform under pressure.
Goh V Shem’s win over Coton is a statement of intent. He’s been underrated for too long, and this performance shows why he’s a top-10 player. 👏 #WTT #TableTennis
What to Watch in Coton’s Next Matches
As Coton prepares for Qatar, here are three areas to watch:
- Serve variation: Coton has been working on adding more spin to his serves. If he can increase his first-serve percentage to above 70%, it will put pressure on opponents.
- Third-ball attacks: His ability to transition from defense to offense after the third ball will be crucial against players like Hou Yizhi and Lin Yun-Ju.
- Mental toughness: Coton must find a way to stay composed after losing the first set, as many of his recent matches have been decided by the fifth game.
How to Follow the WTT Grand Smash USA
The WTT Grand Smash USA continues with the round of 32 matches today at the Rolex Center in New York. Here’s how to stay updated:
- Live streaming: WTT’s official live stream (UTC-4, 1:00 PM local time).
- Official updates: Follow @WTT_TableTennis for match schedules and results.
- Archysport coverage: Check back for daily recaps and analysis as the tournament progresses.
What do you think? Was this a fluke, or does it signal deeper issues for Coton’s season? Share your thoughts in the comments below.