The scene made the rounds on news feeds for anyone who follows the NFL at all: DK Metcalf of the Steelers attacked a Detroit Lions fan during an altercation near the stands on Sunday.
On Monday, the NFL announced a two-game suspension for the Steelers wide receiver.
In the midst of the playoff race, the Steelers will therefore have to do without their best receiver for the rest of the regular season.
The league said Metcalf’s actions violate its rules, which state that “players are not permitted to enter the stands or attack fans at any time on game days and that … if a player has unnecessary physical contact with a fan in a manner that constitutes unsportsmanlike conduct, poses a crowd management problem or presents a risk of injury, he will be held responsible.”
In accordance with the collective agreement, Metcalf may appeal this suspension. A hearing will be held by the commissioner or his representative if applicable.
Installed in first place in the North American with a record of 9-6, Pittsburgh will face the Cleveland Browns on Sunday, December 28, before closing the season against the Baltimore Ravens on a date which remains to be determined, during the last week of activities (7-8).
A Steelers win against the Browns would guarantee them a spot in the playoffs. A loss, coupled with a Ravens victory this week, and everything should be decided in the last game of the season.
Unless Metcalf wins his appeal, the team’s No. 1 receiver won’t be able to help his team down the stretch. His involvement will deprive him of a sum of $555,556 as he will not receive his salary for these two matches.
The Partisan’s Version
On Monday, the fan involved, Ryan Kennedy, categorically denied using a racial slur or hateful language toward the Steelers player, according to a statement shared by a law firm in Michigan.
“These allegations are completely false,” reads the statement shared by Sean Head and Sean Murphy of the Head Murphy Law Firm.
It is also said that Kennedy has since been the target of harassment, threats and violent messages since the incident as it circulated on social media that he allegedly used a racial slur against Metcalf.
It doesn’t appear to be the first time the two men have been at the center of a common incident as Brady Henderson of ESPN reported that the receiver had previously mentioned Kenndey to the Seattle Seahawks safety team while he was playing for that organization. He played in Detroit in a Seahawks uniform in 2022, 2023 and 2024.
Former NFL wide receiver Chad Johnson notably claimed during his “Nightcap” podcast on Sunday evening that the fan had used a racial slur against Metcalf.
Kennedy gave his version of events to the Detroit Free Press on Sunday and allegedly used Metcalf’s full name to address him: DeKaylin Zecharius Metcalf, which led to the altercation.
Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin emphasized after the game that he did not see the gesture and at the time of speaking with the media, he had not yet spoken with his player on the matter.
The fan was not ejected from the game and Metcalf remained in the game won 29-24 by the Steelers. He was held by the Lions defense to four catches for 42 yards.