Long tipped to join Real Madrid, Kylian Mbappé finally decided to extend his contract with Paris-Saint-Germain, until June 2025 in May 2022. The total blow of this operation? 630 million euros gross for the French striker, including several loyalty bonuses each season. A sum that he can only obtain if he stays in Paris until the end of his contract.
A few months later, Cristiano Ronaldo signed up for Saudi Arabia with Al Nassr. CR7 is committed until 2025, and will receive 500 million euros over two and a half years. This is six and a half times more than he earned at Manchester United where he was then the highest paid footballer in England.
In 2021, Lionel Messi’s insane contract leaked! The Spanish press reported a salary of 555,237,619 euros, signed in 2017 (until the end of June 2021, before joining PSG, which has been trying to extend it for a while, editor’s note).
In the rest of the ranking, there are mainly baseball players like Aaron Judge or Mike Trout, but also boxers, including the famous Floyd ‘Money’ Mayweather.
Check out the top 10 biggest deals in sports history:
1. Kylian Mbappé (Football) – €630m/3 years
2. Lionel Messi (Football) – 555M€/4 ans
3. Cristiano Ronaldo (Football) – 500M€/2,5 ans
4. Patrick Mahomes (Football US) – 461,7 M€/ 10 ans
5. Floyd Mayweather (Boxing) – €412m/30 months
6. Mike Trout (Baseball) – 391 M€/12 ans
7. Canelo Alvarez (Boxing) – €334 M/5 years
8. Mookie Betts (Baseball) – 334 M€/12 ans
9. Aaron Judge (Baseball) – 330 M€/9 ans
10. Francisco Lindor (baseball) = 312 M€/10 ans
See also: “I’m going there with my dog Achraf …”: a columnist slips up in a radio program by comparing Achraf Hakimi to Kylian Mbappé’s dog