This is the online version of our daily newsletter, The morning victory. subscribe to receive irreverent and incisive sports stories delivered to your inbox every morning.
Remember last week when Damian Lillard and the Portland Trail Blazers beat LeBron James and the Lakers in the first game of their first-round streak and it seemed like all those predictions of a tough streak and possible upheaval were spot on?
Yes, it was a good time, but all those hopes of a fun ride for Portland are now officially gone after what happened on Monday night.
LeBron and the Lakers jumped into the lead 15-0, and then a fantastic 24-8 lead on Kobe Bryant Day, before busting out well before the final whistle. The final score was 135-115 but it was far worse than Portland’s.
The Lakers had an 80-51 lead at halftime, LeBron had 30 points and 10 assists at the end of the third quarter, and the Trail Blazers lost their star, Lillard, to a right knee injury in the third.
Their Game 4 win now gives the Lakers a 3-1 advantage in the series and removes any doubt that this team can get the job done in the bubble and win a title.
Forget the stories about the Lakers struggling to find their pace in Orlando. Forget your worries after the Game 1 loss to Portland. LeBron and the Lakers are clear favorites and are not even close.
The Lakers have yet to close this series, which they will do on Wednesday. Then they sit down and see what happens to the rest of the West, which has seen the Mavs and Thunder give the Clippers and Rockets all sorts of adaptations in their respective series, which are both tied at 2-2.
The Denver pitch was 3-1 against the Jazz and the West is pretty much all LeBron’s for the catch and it looks like he’s ready to catch it.
Quick Shots: Westbrook meets Thunder … Kobe’s shirts run out fast … Frustrated Harden vs Hand Sanitizer … And more!
– Russell Westbrook did not play in the Rockets-Thunder series due to injury, but he was a leader on the sidelines and joined the Thunder on a time out on Monday.
– Kobe Bryant’s “Black Mamba” shirts sold out fast and fans were not happy.
– James Harden vented his frustrations on a hand sanitizer dispenser after defeat in Game 4 of the Rockets.
– Steven Ruiz explains why the Ravens will miss Earl Thomas more than you can imagine.
– Do you need some advice on fantasy football? Charles Curtis is here with some possible busts that you will want to avoid.