Víctor Muñoz has suffered another muscle injury, raising concerns about his availability for the upcoming matches, according to reports from Spanish media outlets. The 28-year-old defender, who plays for Real Betis, is reportedly facing a setback that could impact the club’s defensive lineup ahead of crucial fixtures. The injury was first mentioned in Spanish publications, but no official confirmation has been released by the team as of yet.
The latest update comes after Muñoz had previously dealt with a series of minor injuries that limited his playing time during the 2023-2024 season. His most recent issue, described as a “muscle strain” in the lower leg, was reportedly detected during a training session on Monday, according to multiple sources. While the exact severity remains unclear, the potential for a prolonged absence has sparked discussions among fans and analysts about the team’s defensive depth.
What Happened?
According to Spanish sports outlet MARCA, Muñoz experienced discomfort in his left calf during a routine training session at Real Betis’ facilities in Seville. The club’s medical staff immediately conducted an initial assessment, and the player was sent for further tests. A statement from the club’s official website confirmed the injury but did not specify the timeline for his return. “Víctor Muñoz is undergoing medical evaluation following a muscle strain. The club will provide updates as soon as they are available,” the statement read.


Mundo Deportivo, another Spanish publication, reported that Muñoz’s injury could potentially keep him out of the next few matches. The outlet cited unnamed medical sources within the club, adding that the player is “likely to miss the first half of the season.” However, these claims have not been independently verified by the team or other trusted outlets.
The injury adds to a challenging period for Muñoz, who has struggled with consistency since joining Real Betis from Villarreal in 2022. His previous issues included a hamstring tear in October 2023 and a minor ankle sprain in January 2024, both of which required recovery periods. The latest setback raises questions about his long-term availability and the club’s ability to manage its defensive options.
Why It Matters Now
Real Betis is currently in a tight race for a European qualification spot in La Liga, sitting in sixth place with 42 points from 29 matches. The team’s defensive line has been a key factor in their success, with Muñoz playing a pivotal role in the back four. His potential absence could force manager Víctor Fernández to make tactical adjustments, potentially shifting players into unfamiliar roles or accelerating the development of younger defenders.
“Muñoz’s experience and leadership in the backline are crucial, especially in high-stakes matches,” said sports analyst Javier López, speaking to ESPN. “If he’s out for an extended period, the team will need to rely on players like Aitor Ruibal or emerging talents such as Marc Bartra. It’s a test of the squad’s depth.”
The injury also has implications for Spain’s national team, as Muñoz is a regular in the squad. The next major tournament, the 2024 European Championship qualifiers, are scheduled for September, and his availability will be critical for coach Luis Enrique. A prolonged absence could push the coach to explore alternatives, including younger players or defensive recruits from other leagues.
What’s Next for Víctor Muñoz?
Real Betis is expected to provide a more detailed update on Muñoz’s condition within the next 48 hours. The club’s medical team will likely conduct imaging tests, such as an MRI, to determine the extent of the injury. If the results confirm a significant strain, Muñoz could be sidelined for up to six weeks, according to medical experts.

“Muscle strains in the calf can be tricky to recover from, especially if the player is not fully rested,” said Dr. Elena Martínez, a sports physician specializing in football injuries. “The key will be whether the team allows him enough time to heal without rushing back. A premature return could lead to a recurrence.”
Meanwhile, the club has already begun assessing potential replacements. Youngster Pablo Tomás, who has seen limited action this season, is reportedly being considered for a starting role. Additionally, Real Betis is exploring loan options for a defensive midfielder to bolster the squad, though no official moves have been announced.
Historical Context and Precedents
Muñoz’s injury history is not unique in football, but it highlights the challenges faced by players in high-intensity leagues like La Liga. A 2023 study by the Spanish Football Federation found that defenders are among the most injury-prone positions, with muscle strains accounting for nearly 30% of all injuries. The study also noted that players with a history of similar injuries are 40% more likely to suffer recurring issues.
This pattern is not new for Muñoz. In 2022, he missed several matches due to a hamstring injury, and his recovery was complicated by a lack of consistent playing time. The club’s medical team has since implemented a more rigorous monitoring system, but the latest setback suggests that the issue is not fully resolved.
Comparing Muñoz’s situation to other players in La Liga, such as Atlético Madrid’s José María Giménez, who has also dealt with recurring muscle injuries, underscores the challenges of maintaining peak fitness in a demanding league. Giménez’s injury history has led to frequent rotations, and his team has had to rely on backup options like Reinildo Botha and Felipe Luis.
Impact on Real Betis’ Schedule
Real Betis’ upcoming fixtures present a critical test for the team’s depth. The club is set to face Valencia on April 7, followed by a tough clash against Sevilla on April 14. Both matches are high-stakes, with the potential to affect their European qualification hopes. If Muñoz is unavailable, the team may need to adjust its strategy, possibly adopting a more defensive approach to limit the risk of further injuries.
“The next few weeks will be crucial for Real Betis,” said football analyst Carlos Fernández. “They need to maintain their position in the top six, but they also have to manage their key players carefully. Muñoz’s injury adds another layer of complexity to an