FIFA Introduces New Red Card Rule for Players Covering Mouths at 2026 World Cup
By Daniel Richardson, Editor-in-Chief, Archysport
FIFA has unveiled a new disciplinary measure for the upcoming 2026 World Cup that will penalize players with a red card if they cover their mouths during on-field confrontations. The rule, announced on Tuesday, comes in response to a series of high-profile racism incidents in European football, including the alleged abuse of Real Madrid forward Vinícius Jr. By Benfica midfielder Gianluca Prestianni earlier this year.
What the New Rule Entails
Under the updated FIFA Laws of the Game, players who cover their mouths although arguing with referees or opponents will be issued an immediate red card. The measure is designed to prevent players from hiding potential verbal abuse or intimidation tactics during matches. The rule will seize effect at the 2026 World Cup, which kicks off on June 11 in Canada, Mexico, and the United States.
“This is a necessary step to ensure transparency and accountability on the pitch,” a FIFA spokesperson told reporters. “Players must be held responsible for their actions, and this rule removes any ambiguity in heated moments.”
The Incident That Sparked Change
The new regulation cannot be separated from the February 2026 incident involving Vinícius Jr. And Gianluca Prestianni. During a Champions League playoff match between Real Madrid and Benfica at Lisbon’s Estádio da Luz, Vinícius reported being racially abused by the Argentine midfielder minutes after scoring a “wonder goal” that should have dominated headlines. The match was halted for 10 minutes as officials investigated the claim.

Prestianni denied the allegations, but UEFA later handed him a five-match ban for “discriminatory behavior” following an investigation. The case marked the 20th time Vinícius had reported racial abuse during his eight-year tenure at Real Madrid, according to BBC Sport.
After the match, Benfica manager José Mourinho drew criticism for his response, suggesting Vinícius had provoked the situation by celebrating his goal “disrespectfully.” Mourinho also claimed Benfica could not be a racist club because its greatest-ever player, Eusébio, was Black. His comments were widely condemned as tone-deaf and dismissive of the ongoing issue of racism in football.
Why This Rule Matters Now
The new red card measure is part of FIFA’s broader effort to combat racism and discrimination in football. The 2026 World Cup will be the first major tournament to implement the rule, which aligns with other recent initiatives, such as:
- Allowing referees to stop or abandon matches in cases of racial abuse.
- Introducing a “cooling-off” period where players can leave the pitch if they experience abuse.
- Implementing stricter penalties for clubs and fans found guilty of discriminatory behavior.
FIFA President Gianni Infantino emphasized the importance of these changes in a recent statement: “Football must be a safe and inclusive space for everyone. We cannot tolerate racism or any form of discrimination, and we will take every measure necessary to eradicate it from the game.”
How the Rule Will Be Enforced
Referees will have the authority to issue a red card if a player covers their mouth while engaging in a confrontation. The rule applies to:

- Players arguing with referees or opponents.
- Players attempting to conceal their words from officials or cameras.
- Players covering their mouths during goal celebrations or post-match interactions.
“This is not about restricting players’ freedom of expression,” said Pierluigi Collina, chairman of FIFA’s Referees Committee. “It’s about ensuring that every word spoken on the pitch is accountable. If a player feels the need to hide what they’re saying, it’s likely something that shouldn’t be said at all.”
Reactions from Players and Coaches
The new rule has sparked mixed reactions across the football world. Some players and coaches have praised FIFA for taking a stand against racism, while others argue the measure is overly punitive and could lead to unintended consequences.
Real Madrid forward Kylian Mbappé, who publicly supported Vinícius after the Benfica incident, called the rule “a step in the right direction.” Mbappé told reporters, “We need to send a clear message that racism has no place in football. If this rule helps achieve that, it’s worth it.”
But, some critics argue that the rule could be misused to penalize players for innocent actions, such as covering their mouths due to cold weather or habit. Others worry that it may escalate tensions on the pitch, as players could be sent off for minor infractions.
What’s Next for the 2026 World Cup
The 2026 World Cup will feature several other rule changes aimed at improving the flow and fairness of the game. In addition to the red card measure for mouth-covering, FIFA will introduce a new “cooling-off” period to allow players to leave the pitch if they experience racial abuse. Referees will also have the discretion to pause or abandon matches in extreme cases of discrimination.
Another notable change is the introduction of an extra moment during the tournament to review and potentially rescind yellow cards. This measure is designed to reduce the number of players missing crucial matches due to accumulated bookings.
Brazil defender Éder Militão will miss the tournament after suffering a knee injury in training, a significant blow to the five-time champions. His absence underscores the high stakes of the 2026 World Cup, where teams will need to navigate not only the new rules but also the physical and mental demands of a grueling schedule.
Key Takeaways
- New Red Card Rule: Players covering their mouths during confrontations will receive an immediate red card at the 2026 World Cup.
- Trigger Incident: The rule follows the alleged racial abuse of Vinícius Jr. By Gianluca Prestianni in February 2026.
- Broader Anti-Racism Efforts: FIFA is implementing multiple measures to combat discrimination, including match stoppages and cooling-off periods.
- Mixed Reactions: While some players and coaches support the rule, others worry it could be misused or escalate tensions.
- Additional Rule Changes: The 2026 World Cup will also feature a review period for yellow cards and stricter penalties for discriminatory behavior.
What Fans Should Watch For
The 2026 World Cup promises to be one of the most closely watched tournaments in history, not only for its expanded format (48 teams) but also for the new rules designed to improve fairness and inclusivity. Fans can expect:
- Increased Accountability: Players and referees will be under greater scrutiny to ensure transparency in on-field interactions.
- Heightened Awareness of Racism: The tournament will serve as a global stage to address discrimination in football, with FIFA’s new measures likely to spark further debate.
- Tactical Adjustments: Teams may need to adapt their strategies to avoid unnecessary confrontations that could lead to red cards.
For Vinícius Jr., the 2026 World Cup will be an opportunity to focus on his performance without the shadow of racism looming over him. The Brazilian forward has become a symbol of resistance against discrimination, and his presence on the pitch will be a powerful statement in itself.
How to Follow the 2026 World Cup
Fans can stay updated on the latest developments by following:
- FIFA’s official World Cup page
- Archysport’s 2026 World Cup coverage
- Official team and league social media accounts for real-time updates.
The next major checkpoint is the 2026 World Cup draw, scheduled for December 2025, where the group stage matchups will be revealed. Until then, teams will continue to prepare for the tournament, navigating the new rules and the challenges they bring.
What do you think of FIFA’s new red card rule? Will it help combat racism in football, or is it an overreach? Share your thoughts in the comments below and join the conversation.