Domenico Tedesco Breaks Silence After Fenerbahçe Exit: “I Will Pray for Their Championship”
By Daniel Richardson, Editor-in-Chief, Archysport
ISTANBUL — Domenico Tedesco has spoken publicly for the first time since his abrupt departure from Fenerbahçe, delivering an emotional farewell that underscored both his disappointment and enduring affection for the Turkish club. In remarks published Tuesday, the 40-year-old Italian coach revealed he will “pray” for Fenerbahçe to win the Süper Lig title this season, despite his sudden exit following a second league defeat.
What Happened: A Sudden Separation
Fenerbahçe officially parted ways with Tedesco on Monday, April 27, 2026, just one day after a 2-1 loss to Karagümrük — only the team’s second league defeat of the season. The decision came after an emergency meeting between Tedesco, sporting director Devin Özek and club president Sadettin Saran. According to primary sources verified by Archysport, Saran met privately with Tedesco following the Karagümrük match, during which the coach was informed of the club’s decision to terminate his contract.
Tedesco, who had been in discussions about a contract extension as recently as early April, described the separation as a reflection of football’s rapid pace. “Just recently, we were talking about the possibility of an early contract extension,” he told the German news agency DPA. “Now, after the second league defeat of the season, we are going our separate ways. This shows once again how quickly things can change in football.”
Tedesco’s Emotional Farewell
In his first public statement since leaving, Tedesco struck a reflective and gracious tone. “I am sad that my time at Fenerbahçe has come to an complete,” he said. “When I arrived, our goal was to build a sustainable structure together. We wanted to approach things a little differently than in the past. We see very disappointing that it has come to this.”
He reserved special praise for Fenerbahçe’s supporters, whom he called “the heart of this club.” “I especially aim for to thank the fans who have always supported us and make this club so special,” Tedesco said. “I will pray that their dream of a championship comes true this season. They deserve it.”
His comments were echoed in a separate statement released by Fenerbahçe’s official channels, which confirmed that players and staff had bid farewell to Tedesco at the club’s Can Bartu Training Facilities earlier in the week.
Reflections on Leadership and Culture
In a press conference held during the international break earlier this month, Tedesco had already hinted at the challenges he faced at Fenerbahçe. Speaking at the club’s training base in Samandıra, he described the environment as tense following a change in leadership — a reference to Saran’s election as club president in February 2026.

“When I arrived, everyone was nervous after the president changed,” Tedesco said. “I told them, ‘Stay calm, focus on your function.’ And they did that very well. This turnaround is not just about me — it’s about the whole team. The players delivered on the pitch. We trained at a high level, and that was our only tool. Devin [Özek] stayed calm, introduced me to the players and staff, and provided a lot of information. That combination was the secret to our progress.”
Despite his relatively young age, Tedesco emphasized his decade of experience in coaching and his refusal to make excuses. “If we lose, it’s my fault — because that’s how I’ve always been,” he said. “I look for the problem within myself. Players demand to focus on what they can control. You can’t change the pitch, the weather, or the referee. We played in Plzeň with a two-hour time difference. In Norway, the match will feel like midnight for us. But none of that matters. What matters is how we prepare and perform.”
What Comes Next for Fenerbahçe
Fenerbahçe’s Süper Lig campaign continues on May 3, 2026, with a home match against Alanyaspor. The club has not yet named an interim coach, but reports from verified Turkish media outlets indicate that several candidates, including former Galatasaray manager Okan Buruk and ex-Besiktas coach Şenol Güneş, are under consideration.
As for Tedesco, his next move remains unclear. The coach, who previously managed RB Leipzig, Schalke 04, and Spartak Moscow, has been linked with several top European clubs, though no official offers have been confirmed.
Why This Matters: A Season of High Stakes
Tedesco’s departure comes at a critical juncture for Fenerbahçe. The club currently sits second in the Süper Lig standings, three points behind Galatasaray with six matches remaining. While the title race remains mathematically open, the psychological impact of a coaching change could be significant — especially with the Istanbul derby against Galatasaray looming on May 18.

Tedesco had been widely credited with revitalizing Fenerbahçe’s tactical identity, implementing a high-pressing, possession-based system that led to a 12-match unbeaten run in the league. His exit raises questions about whether the club’s project — built on long-term stability and modern football principles — can survive a leadership transition.
Key Takeaways
- Sudden Exit: Tedesco was dismissed after Fenerbahçe’s second league defeat of the season, a 2-1 loss to Karagümrük on April 26, 2026.
- Contract Talks Collapse: The coach revealed that discussions about an early contract extension were underway just weeks before his departure.
- Emotional Farewell: Tedesco expressed sadness over the separation and pledged to support Fenerbahçe’s championship bid from afar.
- Leadership Challenges: He acknowledged tensions following the election of new president Sadettin Saran but praised the professionalism of players and staff.
- Title Race Impact: Fenerbahçe remains in contention for the Süper Lig title, trailing Galatasaray by three points with six matches left.
- Uncertain Future: The club has not named a successor, while Tedesco’s next destination is unknown.
What’s Next
Fenerbahçe will return to action on May 3, 2026, hosting Alanyaspor at Şükrü Saracoğlu Stadium. The match, scheduled for 20:00 local time (17:00 UTC), will be the first test for the club under its new coaching structure — whatever form that may grab.
For fans and observers, the coming weeks will reveal whether Tedesco’s departure marks a temporary setback or the unraveling of a carefully constructed project. One thing is certain: the Süper Lig title race has just become even more unpredictable.
What do you think about Tedesco’s exit? Will Fenerbahçe recover in time to challenge for the title? Share your thoughts in the comments below.