UP Para Athlete Awards: Funding Delay

Lucknow, Jan 3: A serious controversy has emerged in Uttar Pradesh after international para-badminton players, who brought laurels to India and the state at the Asia Para Badminton Championship 2025, alleged that their official cash award files have been rejected by the Uttar Pradesh Sports Department on what they describe as purely technical and unjustified grounds.

Several players, including international para-badminton player Abu Hubaida, a bronze medallist at the championship, said they were orally informed that their files were invalidated because the tournament name was written as “Asia Para Badminton Championship” instead of “Asian Para Badminton Championship.” Officials reportedly cited this wording difference as the sole reason for denying recognition of their achievements.
Highlighting the issue, Abu Hubaida said that athletes were verbally told by officials of the Uttar Pradesh Sports Directorate that the discrepancy in naming rendered their documents unacceptable.
The players have countered the decision, stating that both “Asia” and “Asian” refer to the same continental representation and that the official name of the tournament, as per records of Badminton Asia and the Badminton World Federation (BWF), is Asia Para Badminton Championship. The event is held once every four years and is regarded as the highest-level para-badminton competition in Asia.
Adding to the distress, the athletes said no written communication has been provided to them so far. They were informed that clarification would be sent to the UP Para Sports Association, but no formal order or explanation has been issued, leaving players uncertain about their future benefits.
Expressing anguish, Abu Hubaida said the rejection of years of hard work and international achievements over what he termed “wordplay” was deeply hurtful and demoralising. He said such decisions were causing mental stress, financial loss and fear of being deprived of rightful government benefits.
He urged the Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh and the Principal Secretary (Sports) to intervene and ensure fair, transparent and just action, stating that athletes would not accept international honours being dismissed on minor technicalities.
Apart from Abu Hubaida, other players from Uttar Pradesh who represented India at the Asia Para Badminton Championship 2025 and are facing similar issues include Shivam, Shashank Kumar, Swati, Hamid Salmani, Kanak Singh Jadon, Ruchi Trivedi, Shivam Yadav, and Rahul Kumar Verma.
The affected athletes have jointly appealed to the state government for immediate intervention, recognition of the championship’s international status, reconsideration of all rejected files, and issuance of a clear and reasoned written order.
They said they remain hopeful that the Uttar Pradesh government will uphold the dignity of sportspersons and ensure justice for athletes who have earned international recognition for the state and the country.

James Whitfield

James Whitfield is Archysport's racket sports and golf specialist, bringing a global perspective to tennis, badminton, and golf coverage. Based between London and Singapore, James has covered Grand Slam tournaments, BWF World Tour events, and major golf championships on five continents. His reporting combines on-the-ground access with deep knowledge of the technical and strategic elements that separate elite athletes from the rest of the field. James is fluent in English, French, and Mandarin, giving him unique access to athletes across the global tennis and badminton circuits.

Leave a Comment