Kiel still without a win in 2024, Wiesbaden scores in Karlsruhe

Holstein Kiel also missed a win in the third game of the new year and suffered another setback in the promotion race of the second Bundesliga. Coach Marcel Rapp’s team only managed a 1-1 (1-0) draw at 1. FC Magdeburg after conceding a late goal, but still jumped to second place in the table for the time being. The Kiel team had lost the first two games of the new year and thus also the lead in the table.

On Friday, Timo Becker (27th) got the guests on track after a mess in the FCM penalty area. In addition, Timon Weiner parried a hand penalty from Luc Castaignos (55th) and held strong several times in the final phase. Emir Kuhinja (90+6) scored a late but deserved equalizer. The FCM thus secured important points in the fight to stay in the class.

Magdeburg misses the lead

Baris Atik (3rd) missed Magdeburg’s first big chance right at the start and thus set the pace in the opening phase. It went back and forth, and Kiel also had a huge opportunity to take the lead shortly afterwards through Joshua Mees (6th).

As a result, things got tougher and both teams fought a lot of duels. Kiel’s lead came from a free kick: Lewis Holtby followed up after a failed Magdeburg defense and brought the ball into the penalty area again. Becker kept track there.

In the second half, Kiel had to overcome some difficult situations, goalkeeper Weiner kept the promotion contenders on track with his penalty save. The 25-year-old was constantly challenged afterwards.

The failed shooter, Luc Castaignos, later made it public that he had been racially insulted. The Dutchman shared the insult on his private Instagram account. “I take full responsibility for my missed penalty, but I don’t accept that people can say anything. Stop writing racist messages,” the Dutchman wrote over a screenshot of the message.

KSC goalkeeper makes a mistake twice

Karlsruher SC missed out on a possible home win against SV Wehen Wiesbaden after two serious mistakes by their goalkeeper Patrick Drewes. The KSC took the lead twice on Friday in a 2-2 (1-0) thanks to Budu Sivsiwadze (35th minute) and Igor Matanovic (53rd) and extended their series to eight games without defeat in front of 20,407 spectators.

But Drewes allowed one of the opponent’s shots to rebound before both goals were conceded by Ivan Prtajin (48th) and Nick Bätzner (74th), thereby helping the Hessians to a point. While the hosts initially moved up to seventh place at the start of the 20th matchday, Wehen Wiesbaden remained eleventh in the table.

Published/Updated: Published/Updated:

The KSC, where captain Jerôme Gondorf returned to the starting line-up after knee problems, started very cautiously and made many inaccuracies throughout the game. The guests, coached by former Karlsruher Markus Kausczinski, initially controlled the game, but were all too often harmless in attack, apart from a hit on the crossbar by Prtajin (45th + 3).

After the break, an open duel developed in which Karlsruhe was actually the better of two teams that were at best average in terms of play, but missed the win due to Drewes’ mistakes.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *