Newsletter

Transfer ticker: Will it be Kohler? Two coaching candidates at 1. FC Köln

Live ticker transfer ticker

Will it be Kohler? Two coaching candidates at 1. FC Köln

As of: 1:54 p.m. | Reading time: 5 minutes

Cologne manager Christian Keller is required to find a successor for the dismissed cult coach Steffen Baumgart

Quelle: Getty Images/Adam Pretty

1. FC Köln is still looking for a new coach after parting ways with Steffen Baumgart. New names come into play almost every day. Now the circle of candidates seems to be closing. And: Schalke is working on a return for Wilmots. You can find all transfer news here.

According to information from the TV channel Sky, Matthias Kohler is a coaching candidate at 1. FC Köln. Accordingly, the Bundesliga club, which is threatened with relegation, held talks with the 32-year-old in its search for a successor to Steffen Baumgart. The hitherto relatively unknown Kohler is currently without a club. He coached the Dutch first division club FC Volendam until the beginning of December, but resigned due to unrest in the club’s management despite a contract valid until 2026. Previously, he worked in the youth team at FC Basel and at Ajax Amsterdam, among others.

Bo Henriksen is considered another coaching aspirant. The 48-year-old Dane is currently working successfully at FC Zurich. He moved from FC Midtjylland to Switzerland in October 2022 and saved the then bottom team from relegation. His team is currently in third place. According to Sky, there is said to have been an exchange of information between Henriksen and FC.

After parting ways with Baumgart on December 21st, the Bundesliga penultimate team is still looking for a new head coach. There has recently been speculation in the media about the commitment of Thomas Reis, André Breitenreiter, Stefan Kuntz, Bo Svensson, Ralph Hasenhüttl, Heiko Herrlich, Enrico Maaßen or the long-time assistant coach André Pawlak. The first training session of the new year will take place under the direction of Pawlak. Cologne’s first game against 1. FC Heidenheim is on January 13th.

Schalke is trying to get Wilmots to return

According to information from BILD, second division club FC Schalke 04 is trying to get former professional Marc Wilmots to return. As the newspaper reported, the new CEO Matthias Tillmann and supervisory board chairman Axel Hefer are said to have spoken out in favor of the long-time Schalke player returning.

also read

The 54-year-old could fill the gap left by Peter Knäbel. The former sports director and the club agreed on January 1st to immediately terminate the contract, which runs until June 30, 2024. As Schalke announced, the position of sports director will no longer be filled. This could result in a manager position for Wilmots at the Revierclub. The Belgian played for Schalke for a total of six years and won the UEFA Cup and the DFB Cup with the club. Most recently he was a coach in Morocco at Raja Club Athletic.

Is Borré staying? Werder “with an eye on the striker market”

Bundesliga club Werder Bremen is considering the possible departure of attacker Rafael Borré. “Of course a situation can arise if it becomes lucrative for Frankfurt, if it becomes lucrative for us, that we have to think about it,” said Werder’s football boss Clemens Fritz on Tuesday. “But we’re not at that point yet.”

Borré, who is on loan from league rivals Eintracht Frankfurt, is said to have aroused the interest of Brazilian first division club International Porto Alegre. As the multimedia portal “Deichstube” reported, the Colombian national player’s advisors informed Bremen and his club Eintracht Frankfurt of this. Transfer expert Fabrizio Romano had already written on X about an agreement between Borré and the Brazilian club.

Werder had the offensive man on loan in the summer. The loan deal is scheduled to last until the summer. So far, the attacker has fitted in well with the Hanseatic League with four goals and recently improved performances. “He is a very important player for us who has made a great contribution here,” said Fritz. Therefore, they have “no interest in giving Rafael away”. Nevertheless, the table 13 is busy. with alternatives if Borré leaves Bremen after just six months. “It would be very negligent if we did not keep this position in mind,” said Fritz. Therefore, they are “keeping an eye on the striker market”.

Birmingham City part ways with coach Rooney

After less than three months, former English star striker Wayne Rooney has left his coaching position at second division club Birmingham City. The club, which fell to 20th place, has ended its collaboration with the 38-year-old. Birmingham have thus drawn the conclusions from the negative run with only two wins from 15 games since Rooney took office at the beginning of October.

Here you will find content from Twitter

In order to display embedded content, your revocable consent to the transmission and processing of personal data is necessary, as the providers of the embedded content require this consent as third party providers [In diesem Zusammenhang können auch Nutzungsprofile (u.a. auf Basis von Cookie-IDs) gebildet und angereichert werden, auch außerhalb des EWR]. By setting the switch to “on”, you agree to this (revocable at any time). This also includes your consent to the transfer of certain personal data to third countries, including the USA, in accordance with Art. 49 (1) (a) GDPR. You can find more information about this. You can revoke your consent at any time using the switch and privacy at the bottom of the page.

After the 3-0 loss at Leeds United on New Year’s Day, Rooney was insulted by his own fans. The commitment of Manchester United’s record goalscorer was associated with high hopes. Club boss Garry Cook spoke of “a milestone” for City at Rooney’s inauguration. Rooney is still waiting for his breakthrough as a coach. His previous stints with the second division club Derby County and the American club DC United had not been successful.

Düsseldorf signs Daferner on loan

Second division club Fortuna Düsseldorf has completed its first winter transfer and signed Christoph Daferner from 1. FC Nürnberg. The 25-year-old center forward is on loan until the end of the season with an option to buy. The Düsseldorf-based company announced this on Tuesday. Daferner has scored four goals in 38 games for the Franconians since July 2022. The former U20 international also traveled to the training camp in Marbella on Tuesday. “We were looking for a player who has already proven his qualities and still fits within our budget. “Especially because Christoph didn’t have the best run in Nuremberg recently, he is very motivated to get back to his old strength in a new environment,” said Fortuna board member Klaus Allofs.

also read

Here you will find content from third parties

In order to display embedded content, your revocable consent to the transmission and processing of personal data is necessary, as the providers of the embedded content require this consent as third party providers [In diesem Zusammenhang können auch Nutzungsprofile (u.a. auf Basis von Cookie-IDs) gebildet und angereichert werden, auch außerhalb des EWR]. By setting the switch to “on”, you agree to this (revocable at any time). This also includes your consent to the transfer of certain personal data to third countries, including the USA, in accordance with Art. 49 (1) (a) GDPR. You can find more information about this. You can revoke your consent at any time using the switch and privacy at the bottom of the page.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Trending