The Italian driver could be crowned as early as Saturday depending on the race scenario.
Reigning Italian MotoGP world champion Francesco Bagnaia (Ducati) could be assured of retaining his title from the sprint race of the Valencia Grand Prix on Saturday.
Bagnaia is 21 lengths ahead of Spaniard Jorge Martin (Ducati-Pramac), the only one able to deprive him of the double. Between Saturday’s sprint race and Sunday’s Grand Prix, 37 points remain to be distributed for the 20th and final round of the season.
Bagnaia will win the world title on Saturday at the end of the sprint race if:
– he wins the sprint race and Martin does not do better than third;
– he finishes second and Martin does not do better than fifth;
– he finishes third and Martin does not do better than seventh,
– he finishes fourth and Martin does not do better than eighth;
– he finished fifth and Martin did no better than ninth;
– he finished sixth and Martin did no better than tenth.