Brendan Rodgers and Graham Potter have just been sacked by Leicester City and Chelsea. Thus, there have been 12 managers sacked from their positions in the Premier League this season, a new record that has never happened before.
Rodgers was kicked out after Leicester lost 1-2 to Crystal Palace on Saturday (1/4/2023), making The Foxes sink into the red zone, in 19th place to be exact with 25 points from 28 matches. Staring at the remaining 10 matches, management felt the need to make changes.
Chelsea, who have won just seven times in the Premier League since Potter arrived last September, are now scattered in 11th place with 38 points. The Blues also ran out of patience after Joao Felix et al lost 0-2 to Aston Villa.
Opta noted that this season there has been a change of coaches in the Premier League up to 13 times, 12 of which were sacked due to poor results. Previously, the most were just 10 times, which occurred in the 2013-14, 2017-18 and 2021-22 seasons.
Of those 13 changes, only once was ‘well done’, namely when Potter was recruited by Chelsea from Brighton & Hove Albion for a fee of 21.5 million Pounds. The remaining 12 were dismissed from positions before their contracts expired.
With less than two months left in the Premier League, it is possible that a new name will be kicked out, especially if it fails to meet the targets set by the club.
So far, here is a list of manager changes in the 2022-23 Premier League:
- Scott Parker (sacked by Bournemouth, 30 August 2022)
- Thomas Tuchel (sacked by Chelsea, 7 September 2022)
- Graham Potter (released by Brighton & Hove Albion to Chelsea, 8 September 2022)
- Bruno Lage (dipecat Wolverhampton Wanderers, 2 October 2022)
- Steven Gerrard (sacked by Aston Villa, 20 October 2022)
- Ralph Hasenhuttl (sacked by Southampton, 7 November 2022)
- Frank Lampard (sacked by Everton, 23 January 2023)
- Jesse Marsch (dipecat Leeds United, 6 February 2023)
- Nathan Jones (sacked by Southampton, 12 February 2023)
- Patrick Vieira (sacked by Crystal Palace, 17 March 2023)
- Antonio Conte (sacked by Tottenham Hotspur, 26 March 2023)
- Brendan Rodgers (sacked by Leicester City, 2 April 2023)
- Graham Potter (sacked by Chelsea, 2 April 2023)