He does not call for a boycott, an “untenable” position for sports players and viewers. But François Hollande, former President of the Republic (2012-2017), assures this Thursday that he would not “go to Qatar” on the occasion of the next 2022 Football World Cup “if he were head of the ‘State’ to date. “I am no longer so my position is easy,” he said.
François Hollande was invited to a conference given this Thursday during the “Demain le sport” festival, organized by several media at the Maison de la radio about diplomacy and sport. On this subject, he was therefore asked about the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.
“For such a country, hosting such an event had been a goal for years. He devoted great resources to it. In December 2010, when the award was announced, it did not create any particular controversy, ”recalls François Hollande at first.
“On the situation today, in particular on what the site represents or the breaches of the climatic rules, there is a difference, continues the former president. But the position that says “ do not go seems to me untenable for the players. As for the viewers, fortunately no one is behind to tell him what he has to do or not. But if I was head of state, I am no longer so my position is easy, I would not go to Qatar”.