It is the status quo in the medal ranking of the Mediterranean Games Oran 2022 after the day of Saturday July 2. Turkey is still in the lead after a new harvest (14 medals this Saturday), especially in athletics. Ekaterina Guliyev won the women’s 800m ahead of the Italian Eloisa Leather and the Moroccan Assia Razikwhereas Jasmine Can won the 5,000m ahead of the Moroccan Rahma Tahiri and the French Leila Hadji.
Italy dominates in swimming
The Italians, second in the standings, for their part shone with 22 more medals, among others, in the pool (10). Fabio Scozzoli won the 50m breaststroke, ahead of the Turkish Emre Sakci, Filippo Megli dominated the 100m freestyle and edged the Portuguese Diogo de Matos Ribeiro and his compatriot Alessandro Bori.
In women, Lisa Angiolini et Anita Bottazzo achieved the double in the 100m breaststroke, the Turkish Victoria Gunes having to settle for bronze. In the 50m butterfly, Viola Scotto di Carlo et Sonia Laquintana took silver and bronze.
The fourth transalpine gold medal of the day in the pools went to Pier Andrea Matteazzi in the 400m medley, while his friend Pietro Paolo Sarpe collected the bronze.
READ ALSO: All the podiums of Saturday July 2
Tunisia harvest in weightlifting
The Algerians, still on the third step, had a lean seventh day in charms, since only Abdenour Bendjemaa managed to take bronze in the 400 m in athletics. The men’s handball team was eliminated in the first round, the 3 x 3 basketball team in the quarter-finals and cycling did not shine.
On the Tunisian side, on the other hand, the day was rather good with four medals in weightlifting: Amine Bouhijibha in bronze in 61 kg in the snatch, Karem Ben Hnia in bronze in 73 kg in the snatch and in gold in the clean and jerk and Ghofrane Belkhir gold in the clean and jerk in 59 kg for the ladies.
READ ALSO: Boxing revives Algeria in medal standings
France in football final, Morocco for bronze
In the football tournament, France will meet Italy in the final on Monday. Les Bleuets beat the Turks 2-0, while the Italians beat the Moroccans 2-1. The French will try to win a first gold medal in football since 1967.
“The boys showed marvelous courage and fighting spirit, without which we could not have had a dangerous Turkey team, which posed serious problems for us. There is a lot of joy in the locker room after this qualification, it is now necessary to recover well because the organizations are subjected to a severe test, then turn to the preparation for this final. “said coach Lionel Rouxel after the match.
Morocco will play for the bronze medal against Turkey on Monday July 4 as well.
Medal table of the Mediterranean Games (July 2)
- Turkey : 84 medals (37 gold, 21 silver, 26 bronze)
- Italy : 100 medals (31 gold, 36 silver, 33 bronze)
- Algeria : 38 medals (15 gold, 12 silver, 11 bronze)
- France : 58 medals (11 gold, 18 silver, 29 bronze)
- Serbia: 24 medals (11 gold, 5 silver, 8 bronze)
- Spain : 43 medals (10 gold, 15 silver, 18 bronze)
- Egypt : 34 medals (7 gold, 11 silver, 16 bronze)
- Greece : 18 medals (7 gold, 4 silver, 7 bronze)
- Portugal : 18 medals (6 gold, 7 silver, 5 bronze)
- Tunisia : 24 medals (5 gold, 7 silver, 12 bronze)
- Slovenia : 16 medals (4 gold, 5 silver, 7 bronze)
- Croatia : 13 medals (3 gold, 4 silver, 6 bronze)
- Kosovo : 6 medals (3 gold, 3 bronze)
- Morocco : 26 medals (2 gold, 9 silver, 15 bronze)
- Chypre : 10 medals (2 gold, 1 silver, 7 bronze)
- San Marino : 5 medals (2 gold, 1 silver, 2 bronze)
- Albania : 4 medals (2 gold, 1 silver, 1 bronze)
- Syria : 3 medals (2 gold, 1 silver)
- Bosnia and Herzegovina : 7 medals (1 gold, 6 bronze)
- North Macedonia : 2 medals (1 gold, 1 bronze)
- Monaco : 1 medal (1 gold)
- Montenegro : 5 medals (4 silver, 1 bronze)
- Painted : 1 medal (1 silver)
- Libya : 1 medal (1 bronze)