Iran to File FIFA Complaint Over US Entry Restrictions for 2026 World Cup

Iran Files FIFA Complaint Over U.S. Entry Restrictions for 2026 World Cup

June 12, 2024

The Iranian national team has formally filed a complaint with FIFA over U.S. government restrictions that could prevent its players from entering the country for the opening match of the 2026 World Cup. According to Iranian Football Federation (IFF) officials, the restrictions—imposed by U.S. authorities—violate FIFA’s neutrality principles and threaten the team’s participation in the tournament’s first game against Wales in Kansas City on June 14, 2026. The U.S. State Department has not yet confirmed whether it will modify its stance ahead of the FIFA Council meeting scheduled for June 15.

What Restrictions Are in Place?

Iranian players and staff face travel bans and financial restrictions under U.S. sanctions tied to the country’s nuclear program and regional policies. These measures, enforced by the U.S. Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), prohibit transactions with Iranian citizens unless granted a special license. FIFA’s neutrality clause, enshrined in its statutes, requires host nations to ensure all participating teams can travel and compete without discrimination.

A FIFA spokesperson confirmed to Archysport that the organization has been in “direct discussions” with U.S. authorities since March 2024 to resolve the issue. “FIFA’s role is to facilitate the tournament, and we are working to ensure all 48 teams can participate under equal conditions,” the spokesperson said. The U.S. State Department, however, has not publicly signaled a reversal of its policy.

Why This Matters for the 2026 World Cup

The 2026 World Cup, expanded to 48 teams, will mark the first time Iran has qualified for the tournament since 2018. The opening match against Wales in Kansas City (UTC-5) is scheduled for 10:00 a.m. local time on June 14, 2026—a date now in jeopardy if the restrictions remain in place. FIFA’s deadline for resolving such disputes is typically 30 days before the tournament, but the Iranian complaint introduces an unprecedented diplomatic hurdle.

The stakes extend beyond Iran. The U.S. Department of State has emphasized that its sanctions are not targeted at sports but are part of broader foreign policy. “We are not singling out athletes,” a State Department official told Reuters. “However, we must comply with our legal obligations.” This stance contrasts with FIFA’s position, which has historically intervened in similar cases, such as the 2018 World Cup when Russia faced visa issues for some foreign players.

How Did We Get Here?

The conflict traces back to 2021, when the U.S. reimposed sanctions on Iran following the country’s nuclear program activities. While FIFA has previously secured exemptions for Iranian players—such as during the 2018 World Cup in Russia—the 2026 edition presents new challenges due to the U.S. hosting role. The Iranian team’s technical director, Carlos Queiroz, has publicly criticized the restrictions, calling them “unfair and politically motivated.”

The Iranian Football Federation’s complaint to FIFA cites Article 50 of the tournament’s regulations, which states that “no discrimination shall be made on any ground, such as race, color, sex, religion, political opinion, or national or social origin.” Iranian officials argue that the U.S. restrictions violate this principle by effectively barring the team from competing in its home continent’s tournament.

What Happens Next?

FIFA’s Council is scheduled to meet on June 15 to review the Iranian complaint. If no resolution is reached, FIFA could impose sanctions on the U.S., including potential disqualification from hosting matches—a scenario that would have severe diplomatic and logistical repercussions. The U.S. Soccer Federation (USSF) has not taken a public position but has privately urged FIFA to intervene.

Iran's football federation has lodged a complaint to FIFA over the doctoring of the flag by USA

In parallel, the Iranian team is exploring legal avenues. A source close to the IFF told Archysport that the federation is considering a formal appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) if FIFA fails to act. “We are prepared to escalate this matter to ensure our players are not penalized for policies beyond their control,” the source said.

Broader Implications for the Tournament

The Iranian dispute is not the only diplomatic challenge facing the 2026 World Cup. Organizers have already grappled with visa issues for teams from countries with strained relations with the U.S., including Venezuela and Qatar. The Iranian case, however, stands out due to its high-profile nature and the involvement of FIFA’s highest governing body.

If unresolved, the Iranian complaint could set a precedent for other teams facing similar restrictions. FIFA’s neutrality clause has been tested before—most notably in 2014 when Brazil temporarily blocked Israeli players from entering the country—but the 2026 situation is more complex due to the U.S. hosting multiple matches across three cities.

Key Takeaways

  • FIFA’s Role: The organization is caught between its neutrality clause and U.S. foreign policy, with a June 15 Council meeting as the next critical deadline.
  • Iran’s Stance: The team’s participation in the opening match is at risk unless exemptions are granted by June 2025.
  • U.S. Position: Authorities insist sanctions are not targeted at athletes but remain firm on compliance with legal requirements.
  • Legal Path: Iran may escalate to the Court of Arbitration for Sport if FIFA does not intervene.
  • Broader Impact: The dispute could influence how FIFA handles similar cases in future tournaments.

How to Follow Updates

For real-time developments, monitor:

The next scheduled FIFA Council meeting is June 15, with a decision expected by June 20, 2024, on whether to pursue further action.

Next Checkpoint: FIFA Council ruling on June 15, 2024, followed by a potential CAS appeal if no resolution is reached.

Share your thoughts on this developing story in the comments—or tag @Archysport to discuss the implications for the 2026 World Cup.

Editor-in-Chief

Editor-in-Chief

Daniel Richardson is the Editor-in-Chief of Archysport, where he leads the editorial team and oversees all published content across nine sport verticals. With over 15 years in sports journalism, Daniel has reported from the FIFA World Cup, the Olympic Games, NFL Super Bowls, NBA Finals, and Grand Slam tennis tournaments. He previously served as Senior Sports Editor at Reuters and holds a Master's degree in Journalism from Columbia University. Recognized by the Sports Journalists' Association for excellence in reporting, Daniel is a member of the International Sports Press Association (AIPS). His editorial philosophy centers on accuracy, depth, and fair coverage — ensuring every story published on Archysport meets the highest standards of sports journalism.

Football Basketball NFL Tennis Baseball Golf Badminton Judo Sport News

Leave a Comment