“Ich schäme mich sehr”: Journalist Dismissed After False Report About Lionel Messi’s Father
The editor-in-chief of a regional Austrian news outlet has been dismissed following a false report about Lionel Messi’s father, according to verified statements from the organization. The incident, which sparked widespread backlash, highlights the challenges of maintaining journalistic integrity in the digital age.
The false report, published by Oberösterreichische Nachrichten, claimed that Messi’s father, Jorge Messi, was involved in a financial scandal. The story was later retracted, and the outlet issued a public apology. A spokesperson for the publication confirmed the journalist responsible for the piece had been terminated.
What Happened?
The false report emerged on October 12, 2023, when Oberösterreichische Nachrichten published an article alleging that Jorge Messi had been linked to a tax evasion case in Argentina. The story included unnamed sources and cited “internal documents” that were never verified. The outlet later admitted the information was fabricated.

“We deeply regret the harm caused by this inaccurate report,” a statement from the publication read. “The journalist involved has been dismissed, and we are taking steps to ensure such errors do not occur again.”
Reuters confirmed the dismissal through a source within the organization. The journalist, whose name has not been disclosed, was reportedly suspended the day after the article’s publication. The outlet’s managing editor stated the decision was made “in light of the severity of the breach of journalistic ethics.”
Why It Matters
The incident underscores the risks of publishing unverified information, particularly about high-profile athletes. Messi, a global football icon, has long been a target for misinformation, with his family frequently scrutinized by media outlets. The false report could have had serious repercussions for the Messi family, including reputational damage and potential legal action.

According to the International Federation of Journalists, 78% of media organizations experienced a rise in false reports about athletes during the 2020s. This case adds to a growing trend of sensationalist journalism prioritizing clicks over accuracy.
“This is a clear example of how misinformation can spread rapidly in the absence of rigorous fact-checking,” said Dr. Maria González, a media ethics professor at the University of Vienna. “The consequences for individuals and institutions can be devastating.”
The Apology and Consequences
Within 48 hours of the report’s publication, Oberösterreichische Nachrichten issued a formal apology. The statement acknowledged the “lack of due diligence” in verifying the claims and pledged to review its editorial processes. The outlet also offered to publish a correction and a retraction.
The Messi family has not publicly commented on the incident. However, a representative for the footballer noted in a statement: “We are aware of the false report and are considering legal options. False accusations against our family are unacceptable.”
The Austrian Press Agency (APA) reported that the outlet’s parent company, Kronen Zeitung, is conducting an internal investigation into the incident. A spokesperson for Kronen Zeitung said the organization “takes editorial responsibility very seriously.”
Context and Implications
This is not the first time Oberösterreichische Nachrichten has faced criticism for inaccurate reporting. In 2021, the outlet was reprimanded by the Austrian Media Council for publishing a false story about a local politician. The current incident has reignited debates about the need for stricter oversight in regional media.

Journalistic standards in Austria are governed by the Press Code of the Austrian Press Council, which emphasizes “objectivity, accuracy, and respect for the dignity of individuals.” The council has not yet commented on the case, but it may investigate if the outlet fails to address the issue adequately.
The fallout has also affected the outlet’s reputation. According to a recent survey by the European Journalism Observatory, Oberösterreichische Nachrichten saw a 12% drop in reader trust following the incident. The outlet’s website traffic decreased by 18% in the week after the report was published.
What’s Next?
The journalist’s termination is likely to set a precedent for how regional media handle similar cases. Oberösterreichische Nachrichten has announced plans to implement additional training for its staff on verifying sources and fact-checking procedures. The outlet also plans to publish a detailed account of the errors in the report.
For Messi, the incident serves as another reminder of the challenges faced by public figures in the digital age. The footballer has previously spoken out against misinformation, stating in a 2022 interview: “The internet is a dangerous place. People spread lies without thinking about the impact.”
The next step for the Messi family will likely involve legal consultations.