MIAMI – The question of whether Lionel Messi will participate in the 2026 FIFA World Cup remains open, with Argentina national team manager Lionel Scaloni stating he will allow the superstar forward to decide his own future with La Albiceleste. The news comes as Messi continues to play for Inter Miami in Major League Soccer, and after previously indicating that his match against Venezuela in September 2025 might be his last for Argentina.
Scaloni’s comments, reported by multiple outlets including 7sur7.be and Foot Mercato, suggest a hands-off approach to potentially convincing Messi to compete in the tournament co-hosted by the United States, Canada, and Mexico. The 2026 World Cup presents a unique opportunity for Messi to potentially add another chapter to his already legendary career, but Scaloni appears content to let the player craft the call.
Messi, currently 38 years old (as of March 23, 2026, according to verified data), has been a cornerstone of the Argentina national team for nearly two decades. He captained the side to victory at the 2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar, a triumph that fulfilled a long-held dream for both the player and the nation. He also led Argentina to a Copa América title in 2021 and a Finalissima victory in 2022. His international record currently stands at 197 caps and 115 goals, as of March 28, 2026.
The initial indication that Messi might be nearing the complete of his international career came after Argentina’s 3-0 victory over Venezuela in September 2025. Following that match, Messi emotionally stated that it was likely his last appearance for Argentina in his home country, as reported by RMC Sport. However, he left the door open to potentially playing in the 2026 World Cup, acknowledging that circumstances could change.
“La logique était que je n’y arrive pas [The logic was that I wouldn’t make it],” Messi reportedly said, as translated by RMC Sport. “Mais bon, on y est maintenant [But well, we are here now]. Je suis excité, impatient, mais comme je l’ai toujours dit, je prends les choses au jour le jour, match après match [I am excited, impatient, but as I have always said, I grab things day by day, match after match].”
Currently playing for Inter Miami in Major League Soccer, Messi has continued to demonstrate his exceptional talent, scoring 54 goals in 57 appearances as of March 23, 2026. His move to the United States has brought increased attention to the MLS and provided him with a different pace of play as he enters the later stages of his career. The logistical ease of playing a World Cup in North America could be a factor in his decision-making process.
The 2026 World Cup will be the first edition of the tournament to feature 48 teams, a significant expansion from the traditional 32-team format. This change could potentially offer Argentina a more favorable path to the knockout stages, while it also introduces more competition. The tournament will be held across 16 cities in the United States, Canada, and Mexico, with the final to be played at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey.
Scaloni’s willingness to defer to Messi’s wishes underscores the immense respect he has for the player and his contributions to the national team. It also acknowledges Messi’s right to determine when he feels ready to step away from international competition. The decision will undoubtedly be a difficult one for Messi, weighing his desire to continue representing his country against the physical demands of playing at the highest level.
For fans of La Albiceleste, the uncertainty surrounding Messi’s participation is a source of both anxiety and hope. Having witnessed his brilliance firsthand for so many years, they would undoubtedly relish the opportunity to see him grace the World Cup stage one last time. However, they also understand and respect his need to prioritize his own well-being and make the decision that is best for him and his family.
The next confirmed checkpoint for Messi and Argentina will be a series of international friendlies scheduled for June 2026, providing a potential glimpse into Scaloni’s plans and Messi’s mindset. Further updates on Messi’s decision are expected in the months leading up to the tournament, with the final squad announcement anticipated in May 2026.
What are your thoughts? Will Lionel Messi play in the 2026 World Cup? Share your predictions and opinions in the comments below.
Keep reading