TURIN, ITALY – Torino secured a convincing 4-1 victory over Parma on Wednesday in a Serie A match at the Stadio Olimpico Grande Torino, but the post-match discussion quickly shifted from the pitch to troubling off-field issues. Torino president Urbano Cairo used his post-game comments to strongly condemn abusive messages directed at him and to voice his frustration with what he described as sensationalist reporting from certain media outlets.
Cairo, visibly upset, began by acknowledging the team’s performance. “We are happy, it was a good win,” he said, as reported by Toro News. Although, he quickly pivoted to address a more serious concern. “But I desire to say something different: the things I’ve seen written are truly awful. But not for me, for the children who see them.”
The president revealed that he had been targeted by threatening messages, specifically referencing disturbing writings that appeared in his hometown of Masio, in the province of Alessandria. According to Gazzetta.it, police have opened an investigation into the matter. Cairo expressed deep concern over the impact such messages could have on young people, emphasizing the importance of maintaining a respectful environment within the sport. “We’re talking about the game of football, where a president has invested tens of millions. To come and say these kinds of things is really bad. I sense sorry for whoever did it, as they are in a bad place,” he stated.
Cairo’s criticism wasn’t limited to the direct threats. He also took aim at certain journalists, accusing them of deliberately stirring up discord with unfounded rumors. He specifically cited reports regarding a potential release clause for striker Andrea Zapata and speculation linking Parma coach Fabio D’Aversa with a move to Torino to replace current manager Ivan Juric. “To create dissension? Really? How are you doing?” he questioned, directing his remarks towards the assembled press. He further lamented that these reports were often fueled by individuals who he believes actively wish harm upon the club.
The Torino president acknowledged the possibility of eventually selling the club, but warned that the toxic atmosphere created by negative reporting and abusive behavior would likely persist under new ownership. “The president can change, sooner or later I will sell Torino. But if This represents the environment, the next one who arrives will be the same,” he said. He stressed that a fundamental shift in attitude is needed to ensure the long-term health of the club.
This isn’t the first instance of fan discontent directed towards Cairo. Recent matches have seen reduced attendance, reportedly as a form of protest against his leadership. The incident in Masio, however, represents a significant escalation, moving beyond criticism of club management into potentially criminal territory. The investigation by local authorities underscores the seriousness of the situation.
Cairo’s comments highlight a growing concern within Italian football regarding the increasing toxicity of online and offline fan behavior. While passionate support is a cornerstone of the sport, the line between enthusiasm and harassment is becoming increasingly blurred. The president’s plea for responsible reporting and a focus on the game itself serves as a stark reminder of the need for a more constructive dialogue between clubs, media, and supporters.
The victory over Parma, while a positive result on the pitch, is now overshadowed by these troubling developments. Torino currently sits mid-table in Serie A, and the club will be hoping to put this off-field drama behind them as they prepare for their next match against Cagliari on March 22nd. That match is scheduled for a 3:00 PM CET kickoff at the Unipol Domus stadium in Cagliari, Italy (9:00 AM EDT).
Cairo concluded his remarks by reiterating his satisfaction with the team’s performance, stating, “The match, you saw it, it was a good match, I’m happy.” However, the shadow cast by the abusive messages and media criticism clearly weighed heavily on his mind.