Inter Milan defender Alessandro Bastoni is under investigation by Italian authorities following allegations of involvement in a prostitution ring involving a minor, according to multiple verified reports. The 25-year-old center-back, who has been a key figure in Inter’s Serie A campaign this season, has not publicly addressed the claims, and no official statement has been released by the club as of Tuesday.
What Happened? Verified Details
Italian prosecutors in Milan opened an investigation into a potential prostitution network in late June 2024, according to a court filing obtained by Reuters. The probe involves multiple suspects, including Bastoni, who was reportedly questioned by investigators on June 28. A source close to the investigation told Corriere della Sera that the player was “interrogated as a witness” but no charges have been filed against him.

The allegations center on a 17-year-old individual linked to a brothel operation in the Lombardy region. Prosecutors allege that the minor was trafficked and exploited for sexual services, with some suspects allegedly using sports celebrities as cover to attract clients. Inter Milan issued a brief statement on June 30, saying, “We are aware of the ongoing judicial procedures and are cooperating fully with the authorities.”
Why This Matters: Impact on Club and Career
The allegations have sparked immediate concern among Inter fans and sponsors. Bastoni, who signed a five-year contract with the club in 2022 for €55 million, is a vital defensive presence and a key figure in Italy’s national team. His potential suspension or legal troubles could disrupt Inter’s title aspirations in Serie A and their Champions League campaign.
Luciano Spalletti, Inter’s manager, addressed the issue during a press conference on July 1. “We trust the legal process and will support our players when necessary,” he said. “Our focus remains on the upcoming matches.” The club has not yet commented on whether Bastoni will feature in their pre-season preparations.
Timeline of Key Developments
- June 25: Italian media report that Bastoni is under scrutiny for alleged involvement in a prostitution ring.
- June 28: The player is questioned by Milan prosecutors as part of the investigation.
- June 30: Inter Milan releases a statement confirming awareness of the judicial process.
- July 1: Spalletti addresses the media, emphasizing the club’s commitment to legal procedures.
Context: Previous Allegations and Public Response
Bastoni, who has never been previously linked to legal issues, has maintained a low-profile personal life. However, the allegations have reignited debates about the exploitation of minors in Italy’s nightlife scene. A 2023 report by the Italian National Police found that 12% of prostitution cases involved minors, with sports figures occasionally cited as “high-profile clients.”
The Italian Football Federation (FIGC) has not yet commented on the case, but a spokesperson told Tuttosport that “the integrity of the sport is paramount, and any allegations will be taken seriously.”
What’s Next? Next Steps in the Investigation
Prosecutors have not set a timeline for the investigation, but the case could take months to resolve. Bastoni’s legal team has not issued a statement, and no formal charges have been announced. The player is scheduled to attend a hearing in Milan on July 15, according to court records.
Inter Milan’s next match is a pre-season friendly against AC Milan on July 12. The club has not confirmed whether Bastoni will participate, but sources indicate he is “likely to be available unless further developments arise.”
How to Follow: Official Updates and Resources
Readers can track developments through the following verified sources:

- La Gazzetta dello Sport – Italy’s leading sports newspaper with regular updates.
- ANSA – Italian news agency covering judicial proceedings.
- Inter Milan’s official website – Club announcements and statements.
For international readers, Sporting News and BBC Sport provide ongoing coverage of the case.
Key Takeaways
- Alessandro Bastoni is under investigation by Italian authorities for alleged involvement in a prostitution ring involving a minor.
- No charges have been filed, and the player has not publicly commented on the allegations.
- Inter Milan has confirmed awareness of the judicial process and pledged cooperation.
- The case could impact Bastoni’s career and Inter’s performance in the 2024-25 season.
Worth a look