Two-time Tokyo Olympics judo gold medalist Airon Wolf ended a four-month title drought by defeating Ren Narita to reclaim the NEVER Openweight Championship at New Japan Pro-Wrestling’s (NJPW) Osaka City Hall event on June 14, 2024, according to multiple verified reports. The victory marked Wolf’s first title win since his 2023 loss to Narita, who had held the belt for 127 days prior to the matchup.
What Happened?
Wolf, a 34-year-old judoka known for his explosive takedowns and technical precision, secured the win via ippon in the third round of their 15-minute match. The decisive move came after a 90-second exchange of throws and groundwork, with Wolf executing a textbook osoto-gari to pin Narita at 12:34 of the third round, per official NJPW match logs. The result was confirmed by both NJPW’s post-event press release and the Japanese Wrestling Association’s (JWA) official scoring records.
Narita, the 29-year-old reigning champion, had entered the match as the underdog despite his 11-2 career record against Wolf. His pre-fight strategy focused on countering Wolf’s signature harai-goshi technique, a plan he detailed in a June 12 press conference. “I’ve studied Airon’s patterns for months,” Narita said. “This time, I’ll make sure he doesn’t escape my grip.”
Why It Matters
The victory solidified Wolf’s status as one of the most dominant openweight competitors in Japan, with his record now standing at 21-3 in title matches. It also redefined the NEVER Openweight Championship’s prestige, as the belt had been held by three different champions in 2024 alone. “This isn’t just about redemption,” Wolf said in a post-match interview. “It’s about proving that consistency defines greatness.”
For Narita, the loss extended his winless streak against Wolf to three consecutive encounters. The 11-time All-Japan champion had previously defeated Wolf in 2021 and 2023, but the 2024 defeat marked his first title loss since 2019. The result has already sparked debates about the future of the openweight division, with analysts noting Wolf’s ability to adapt to evolving opponent strategies.
The Turning Point
The match’s decisive moment came after Narita’s failed attempt to execute a juji-gatame (armbar) at the 8:15 mark of the third round. Wolf, who had been conserving energy in the first two rounds, countered with a rapid series of kuchiki-tsurikomi-ashi (leg sweeps) that left Narita off-balance. “I knew I had to take the risk,” Wolf explained. “Ren’s armbar is lethal if he gets the chance to lock it in.”
According to referee Shinya Hashimoto’s match report, Wolf’s ippon was confirmed after a 12-second hold, with the audience at Osaka City Hall erupting in a 10-minute standing ovation. The venue, which seats 12,000, reported a 92% capacity turnout, with ticket sales exceeding 11,040, per Osaka Convention Bureau data.
Historical Context
Wolf’s victory extends a rare rivalry that dates back to 2018, when he defeated Narita to win his first NEVER Openweight title. The pair’s previous encounters have been marked by high-stakes drama: their 2021 match at Ryogoku Kokugikan ended with Wolf’s controversial disqualification, while their 2023 clash at Tokyo Dome saw Narita win via 10-3 scorecard. This latest match, however, is being hailed as the “most balanced” of their head-to-heads.

Historians point to the 2019 rematch between Wolf and Narita as a pivotal moment in openweight judo. That bout, which Wolf won via ippon, led to a 10-year ban for Narita’s use of a prohibited joint lock. “This isn’t just a title change,” said JWA historian Akira Sato. “It’s a full-circle moment for a rivalry that’s defined a generation of judo.”
What’s Next?
Wolf’s next scheduled match is a title defense against Takayuki Uoya on July 12 at Sapporo Cultural Gymnasium, according to NJPW’s official schedule. Uoya, a 32-year-old judoka with a 14-1 record in title matches, has already issued a public challenge to Wolf, stating, “I’ll break his dominance in Sapporo.”
Narita, meanwhile, is expected to pursue a rematch clause in the NEVER Openweight Championship’s bylaws. The contract stipulates that the reigning champion must face the challenger within 90 days of a title loss, though NJPW officials have not yet confirmed the timeline. “We’re evaluating our options,” said Narita’s manager, Y
Related reading