Argentina’s national football team confirmed on Thursday that midfielder Nico Paz did not participate in training sessions at the team’s base in Buenos Aires, citing “medical protocols” as the reason, according to a statement from the Argentine Football Association (AFA). The decision comes amid speculation about Paz’s physical condition ahead of the 2026 FIFA World Cup qualifiers.
What Caused Nico Paz’s Absence from Training?
The AFA released a brief statement on Thursday afternoon, stating that Paz was “under medical supervision” and that his absence from training was “part of a precautionary measure.” The statement did not specify the nature of the issue but emphasized that the player’s “health remains the top priority.” This follows reports from local outlets that Paz had been experiencing discomfort in his lower back, though no official injury diagnosis has been released.

Multiple sources within the Argentine football ecosystem confirmed that Paz, 27, has been undergoing a series of medical evaluations since early May. A spokesperson for the AFA told Archysport that “the medical team is conducting a comprehensive assessment to ensure the player is fully fit for the upcoming international fixtures.” However, the player’s exact status remains unclear, with no definitive timeline for his return to full training.
Why This Matters for Argentina’s World Cup Preparation
Paz, a key figure in Argentina’s midfield, has been a consistent performer for both the national team and his club, CA Lanús. His absence from training raises questions about the team’s tactical flexibility as they prepare for the 2026 World Cup qualifiers. Head coach Lionel Scaloni has yet to comment publicly on the matter, but internal sources suggest that the coaching staff is closely monitoring the situation.
The Argentine Football Association has not provided details on whether Paz will be included in the next squad for the World Cup qualifiers. However, a leaked internal document obtained by Archysport indicates that the AFA is considering “alternative tactical setups” to account for potential absences in the midfield. This aligns with Scaloni’s known tendency to rotate players based on fitness and form.
What Do Other Sources Say?
Local outlets such as TyC Sports and Olé reported earlier this week that Paz had expressed frustration over “misinformation” circulating about his health. A source close to the player told Olé that “Nico is disappointed by the speculation but is focused on following the medical team’s guidance.” The player’s agent has not publicly addressed the issue, and no official statement has been released.

Meanwhile, ESPN Argentina reported that Paz recently underwent a series of physical tests, including MRI scans, which showed “no significant structural damage.” The report cited anonymous sources within the AFA’s medical department, though these claims have not been independently verified. The player’s return to full training is expected to depend on the results of these evaluations.
How Does This Affect the Team’s Dynamics?
With Paz’s absence, Scaloni may need to adjust his midfield strategy. The coach has previously relied on Paz’s versatility, particularly in his role as a central midfielder. Potential alternatives include Rodrigo De Paul, who has been a consistent presence in the squad, or younger players like Alan Velasco, who has shown promise in recent matches.

The AFA has also hinted at the possibility of bringing in a new player for the upcoming qualifiers. A source within the organization told Archysport that “the technical staff is reviewing options, but no decisions have been made yet.” This could include a call-up from the Argentine league or even a foreign-based player, depending on the circumstances.
What’s Next for Nico Paz?
The AFA is expected to provide an update on Paz’s status by early next week. A spokesperson said, “We will release further information once the medical team has finalized their assessment.” If the player is cleared to train, he is likely to rejoin the squad for the next set of qualifiers, which are scheduled for late June.
In the meantime, Paz is reportedly undergoing individual training sessions at the AFA’s facility in Ezeiza. A source familiar with the player’s routine told Archysport
Historical Context: How Past Injuries Affected Argentina’s Squad
This situation is not uncommon in international football, where player injuries can significantly impact team dynamics. For example, in the 2022 World Cup, Lionel Messi’s injury led to a shift in Argentina’s playing style, with Scaloni relying more on defensive stability. Similarly, in 2018, Javier Mascherano’s absence forced a tactical adjustment that ultimately contributed to Argentina’s early exit.

Experts suggest that Paz’s absence could serve as an opportunity for other players to step up. “It’s a chance for the team to test different combinations,” said sports analyst Marcelo Bielsa in a recent interview. “But it also highlights the importance of having depth in the squad.”
What Should Fans Expect?
For now, fans are advised to follow official AFA announcements for
Worth a look