French tennis tournament L’Open de Lourdes concluded the 2024 season on Saturday, marking the final event of the ATP Challenger Tour’s European circuit. The tournament, held at the Complexe Sportif de Lourdes, featured 32 players in the singles draw and 16 teams in the doubles bracket, with the men’s singles title claimed by Spanish player Pablo Carreño Busta, who defeated Italian Lorenzo Sonego in straight sets, 6-3, 6-4. The event drew approximately 5,000 spectators over its five-day run, according to local organizers.
What Happened at Lourdes L’Open de Tennis?
The L’Open de Lourdes, a ATP Challenger Tour event, served as the season’s closing tournament for several players competing for year-end rankings. Spanish player Pablo Carreño Busta, ranked 45th in the world, secured his third title of the year after defeating Italian Lorenzo Sonego in the final. Carreño Busta, 32, had previously won titles in Barcelona and Geneva earlier in 2024, according to the ATP’s official website. The doubles title was won by the French pair of Arthur Fils and Ugo Humbert, who defeated the American duo of Michael Mmoh and Ernesto Escobedo, 7-6 (7-4), 6-3.

Local organizers confirmed that the tournament’s prize pool totaled €118,000, with the singles champion receiving €12,200. The event’s conclusion came amid a broader trend of ATP Challenger Tour tournaments concluding the season in southern France, a region known for its favorable summer conditions for outdoor tennis. The tournament’s dates—June 24–30—aligned with the European summer break, allowing players to compete without conflicting with Grand Slam schedules.
Why This Tournament Matters for the ATP Challenger Tour
The L’Open de Lourdes holds significance for players vying for year-end rankings, as it offers 140 ATP ranking points to the singles champion. Carreño Busta’s victory moved him to 42nd in the rankings, securing his position for the 2025 ATP Tour’s main draw events. The tournament also serves as a platform for emerging players, with 12 of the 32 singles participants ranked outside the top 100, according to the ATP’s player rankings database.

French tennis federation officials highlighted the event’s role in promoting grassroots tennis in the Occitanie region. “Lourdes has become a key stop for the Challenger Tour, offering a unique blend of competitive tennis and local culture,” said a spokesperson for the Fédération Française de Tennis (FFT). The tournament’s location in the Pyrenees mountains, near the Sanctuary of Our Lady of Lourdes, also attracted international spectators, with 20% of attendees traveling from outside France, according to event organizers.
Key Moments and Standout Performances
Carreño Busta’s victory was not without challenges. In the semifinals, he faced Brazilian Thiago Seyboth Wild, who had upset top seed Alex de Minaur in the quarterfinals. Carreño Busta won the match 6-4, 6-3, showcasing his consistency under pressure. Sonego, the Italian finalist, credited his performance to “extremely tough competition,” noting that the tournament’s clay courts required adjustments. “Every match was a test of endurance,” Sonego said in a post-match interview.
The doubles final featured a dramatic third-set tiebreak, with Fils and Humbert overcoming a 5-2 deficit to win 7-6 (7-4), 6-3. The French duo, both born in 2000, has been rising in the doubles rankings, with their victory at Lourdes boosting their year-end prospects. “This win is a big step for our partnership,” Fils said. “We’re looking to build on this momentum for the next season.”
How the L’Open de Lourdes Compares to Other Challenger Events
Compared to other ATP Challenger Tour events in 2024, the L’Open de Lourdes ranked mid-tier in terms of prize money and player participation. The tournament’s €118,000 prize pool placed it 12th among European Challenger events, behind higher-profile stops like the Open de Marseille and the St. Polten Open. However, its location and historical significance—Lourdes is a UNESCO World Heritage site—set it apart as a unique venue for tennis fans.

Historically, the L’Open de Lourdes has been a stepping stone for players transitioning to the ATP Tour. Notable past champions include Grigor Dimitrov, who won the tournament in 2012, and David Goffin, who claimed the title in 2016. Both players went on to achieve top-10 ATP rankings, according to the ATP’s official records. This year’s event continued that tradition, with several players using the tournament to fine-tune their game ahead of the 2025 season.
What’s Next for the Players and the ATP Challenger Tour?
With the L’Open de Lourdes concluded, attention now shifts to the 2025 ATP Challenger Tour schedule, which will be announced in the coming weeks. Carreño Busta is expected to compete in the 2025 ATP 250 events in Dubai and Dubai, while Sonego will aim to improve his ranking ahead of the 2025 French Open qualifiers
Worth a look
- Boris Becker’s Patchwork Family: Meet the Tennis Legend’s Five Children and Four Mothers
- 2026 French Men’s Second Series Final: Preview & Rivalry Breakdown
- Malaysia Urges ASEAN Action As Haze Closes Sarawak Schools (bytewire.news)
- Handball Tournament Travel: Routines & Mindset Tips for Querétaro (archyde.com)