The Milwaukee Bucks confirmed on Tuesday that guard Kevin Porter Jr. will remain with the team for the 2023-24 NBA season, according to a statement released by the organization. The decision, which follows weeks of speculation, marks a significant move for the Bucks as they aim to strengthen their roster amid playoff ambitions. Porter, 25, has yet to play a regular-season game for Milwaukee after being acquired in a trade deadline deal last year, but his continued presence signals the team’s confidence in his development.

The Bucks’ announcement came as part of a broader roster update, with the team also reiterating its commitment to retaining key players such as Giannis Antetokounmpo and Jrue Holiday. A spokesperson for the team stated, “Kevin has shown promise during his time with us, and we believe his growth aligns with our long-term goals.” The statement did not specify whether Porter will be included in the team’s 2023-24 training camp roster or if he will remain on a two-way contract, a detail that remains under discussion.
Porter’s journey to Milwaukee began in February 2023, when the Bucks acquired him from the Cleveland Cavaliers in a trade involving Donte DiVincenzo. The move was part of a strategy to bolster the team’s guard depth ahead of the playoffs. However, Porter’s limited action in Cleveland and subsequent time with Milwaukee has raised questions about his readiness for consistent NBA play. During his brief stint with the Bucks, he averaged 6.3 points and 3.1 rebounds in 22.7 minutes per game across six contests, according to NBA.com.

The decision to retain Porter reflects the Bucks’ cautious approach to roster management, particularly as they navigate the complexities of the salary cap and player development. General Manager Jon Horst emphasized the importance of balancing immediate needs with future flexibility. “We’re evaluating all options to ensure we’re in the best position to compete,” Horst said in a recent interview. “Kevin’s potential is something we want to explore further.”
Porter’s situation has drawn comparisons to other young players who have faced similar challenges in their early NBA careers. For instance, former Bucks guard Jordan Nwora, who was also acquired via trade, struggled to secure consistent minutes before being waived. However, Porter’s path differs in that he has not yet been assigned to the G League, a factor that could influence his future with the team. The Bucks’ affiliation with the Wisconsin Herd provides a potential developmental pathway, though no official announcements have been made regarding his placement.
The move also has implications for the Bucks’ playoff aspirations. With Antetokounmpo and Holiday as the team’s primary playmakers, Porter’s role would likely be limited to supporting minutes, particularly in late-game scenarios. Analysts suggest that his court vision and defensive versatility could make him a valuable asset in specific matchups. “If he can refine his shot and adapt to the pace of the game, he could emerge as a reliable contributor,” said ESPN analyst Zach Lowe, who noted that Porter’s 37.5% shooting from the field in the G League last season indicates potential.

Porter’s continued presence with the Bucks also raises questions about the team’s long-term plans. The 2023-24 season will be critical for the organization as they seek to defend their NBA championship title. Coach Mike Budenholzer has not yet commented publicly on Porter’s status, but his previous emphasis on player development suggests that the team may prioritize his growth over immediate results. “We’re focused on building a culture of accountability and improvement,” Budenholzer stated in a recent press conference. “Every player has a role in that process.”
The decision to retain Porter comes amid broader changes in the NBA landscape. With the league’s free agency period approaching, teams are increasingly prioritizing young, contract-controlled players over high-priced veterans. The Bucks’ approach aligns with this trend, as they
Related reading