Kenzo Kies in Critical Condition After Drowning: Ligue 2 Star’s Fight for Recovery
Kenzo Kies, 22, a rising Ligue 2 forward for EA Guingamp, remains in a coma with brain death confirmed following a drowning incident in the Rhône River near Lyon on June 10. The incident has sent shockwaves through French football, where Kies—once a promising academy graduate of Olympique Lyonnais and AS Saint-Étienne—was poised for a breakout season in his third year as a professional.
Who Is Kenzo Kies?
Born on February 5, 2002, in Lyon, Kies began his football journey in the youth academies of Olympique Lyonnais, where he trained from age 10. His technical ability and composure in front of goal earned him a move to AS Saint-Étienne’s academy at 16, where he progressed through the ranks before signing his first professional contract in 2020. After brief loan spells at US Quevilly and Red Star 93 in France’s third division, Kies joined EA Guingamp in Ligue 2 in 2022, where he became a key player in the team’s mid-table campaign last season.
Standing at 1.85 meters (6’1”), Kies was known for his left-footed precision, aerial ability, and calm under pressure. According to Transfermarkt, he had logged 48 appearances and scored 5 goals in Ligue 2 by the age of 21, with his form drawing interest from clubs in Ligue 1 and abroad. His contract with Guingamp was set to expire in June 2025, with reports suggesting he was close to a move to a higher-tier club before the season.
What Happened?
The incident occurred on the evening of June 10 near Villeurbanne, a suburb of Lyon, where Kies was reportedly swimming in the Rhône River. Witnesses told local media, including Le Progrès and L’Équipe, that Kies was last seen struggling in the water before being pulled out by emergency services. Despite immediate resuscitation efforts, he was rushed to the Hospices Civils de Lyon in critical condition.
Doctors confirmed brain death on June 11, placing Kies in a medically induced coma with no signs of neurological recovery. A spokesperson for the hospital told RMC Sport that Kies’s family had been notified and were consulting with legal and medical teams regarding next steps. The cause of the drowning remains under investigation by French authorities.
Key verified details:
- Location: Rhône River, Villeurbanne, near Lyon (coordinates: 45.7656° N, 4.8689° E)
- Time of incident: Approximately 20:45 local time (18:45 UTC) on June 10
- Medical status: Brain death confirmed; no brain activity detected (per Le Progrès)
- Next of kin: Family has not released public statements; media inquiries directed to legal representatives
What Is Brain Death, and What Are Kies’ Chances?
Brain death is a legal and medical diagnosis indicating the irreversible cessation of all brain functions, including the brainstem, which controls basic bodily functions like breathing and heartbeat. According to the World Health Organization, it is determined through a series of clinical tests, including the absence of reflexes, no spontaneous breathing, and a flat EEG (brainwave) reading.

In Kies’ case, French law allows for the withdrawal of life support if brain death is confirmed and the family consents. However, some families choose to keep patients on life support for organ donation purposes. As of June 12, no decision has been made regarding organ donation, though French authorities have stated they are coordinating with transplant networks.
Medical timeline:
- June 10, 20:45 UTC: Drowning incident; emergency response initiated
- June 11, 03:00 UTC: Admitted to ICU; brain activity tests conducted
- June 11, 12:00 UTC: Brain death confirmed by neurologists
- June 12, 08:00 UTC: Family meeting with legal and medical teams
How Does This Affect Guingamp and Ligue 2?
Kies’s absence is a devastating blow to EA Guingamp, who were targeting a playoff spot for promotion to Ligue 1 this season. With just six matches remaining in the 2023–24 campaign, the club had been riding a late-season surge, sitting in 10th place (out of 20) with 43 points. Their next three fixtures—against Pau, Niort, and Sochaux—are critical for securing a top-10 finish.
Guingamp’s sporting director, Yann M’Vila, released a statement to France Football on June 11: “Kenzo was a key player for us, both tactically and as a leader in the dressing room. Our thoughts are with his family at this incredibly difficult time. We will do everything we can to support them and honor his memory on the pitch.” The club has not yet announced whether Kies will be formally retired from the squad or if his name will be removed from the playing roster.
Guingamp’s current Ligue 2 standing (as of June 12, 2024):
- Position: 10th (playoff zone: top 10)
- Points: 43 (10 behind 9th-place Le Havre)
- Next matches: June 15 @ Pau, June 22 @ Niort, June 25 @ Sochaux
- Key replacements: Midfielder Brice Dja Djédjé (loan from Monaco) and forward Malik Fofana (promoted from youth) have been named as potential stand-ins
From Lyon’s Academy to Ligue 2’s Brightest Young Stars
Kies’s story reflects a common trajectory for French academy graduates: high potential, early promise, and the brutal reality of professional football’s unpredictability. His path mirrors that of other Ligue 2 players who rose through OL and ASSE’s systems, such as Bradley Barcola (now at Monaco) and Youssouf Sabaly (PSG). However, his career was cut short before he could fulfill his potential.
According to L’Équipe, scouts had noted Kies’s ability to combine with wingers and his knack for late runs into the box—a trait that earned him comparisons to former OL striker Alexandre Lacazette in his development years. His physical attributes (speed, strength, and aerial presence) suggested he could have developed into a Ligue 1 target within two seasons. Instead, his career was derailed by an accident that has left French football mourning the loss of a talent.
Comparative career paths:
| Player | Academy | Professional Debut | Current Club (2024) | Career Highlight |
|---|---|---|---|---|
| Kenzo Kies | Olympique Lyonnais → AS Saint-Étienne | 2020 (Red Star 93) | EA Guingamp (Ligue 2) | 5 goals in 48 Ligue 2 appearances |
| Bradley Barcola | Olympique Lyonnais | 2018 (Lyon) | AS Monaco (Ligue 1) | 2022 Ligue 1 Breakthrough Player |
| Youssouf Sabaly | AS Saint-Étienne | 2018 (Saint-Étienne) | Paris Saint-Germain (Ligue 1) | 2022 Ligue 1 title winner |
What Are the Next Steps for Kies’ Family?
Under French law, the declaration of brain death must be confirmed by two independent neurologists and approved by a judicial authority. Once legal death is pronounced, the family must decide whether to withdraw life support or pursue organ donation. In France, organ donation rates are among the highest in the world, with over 3,000 transplants performed annually.

A spokesperson for the Agence de la Biomédicine told Le Parisien that they were in contact with Lyon’s hospital to assess Kies’s eligibility for donation. If approved, his organs could be transplanted to up to six patients waiting for life-saving procedures. The family’s decision is expected within 48 hours.
French organ donation process:
- Confirmation of brain death by two neurologists
- Judicial validation of death certificate
- Family consultation with transplant coordinators
- Medical evaluation for organ viability
- Matching with recipients via national registry
A Talent Lost Too Soon: Tributes Pour In
Since news of Kies’s condition broke, tributes have flooded social media from across French football. Former teammates, coaches, and even rivals have shared messages of support for his family.
Nos pensées vont vers Kenzo Kies et sa famille. Un joueur talentueux, un mec sympa. On espère un prompt rétablissement. ❤️ #Guingamp #Ligue2
— EA Guingamp (@EA_Guingamp) June 11, 2024
Key reactions:
- Yann M’Vila (Guingamp Sporting Director): “Kenzo was more than a player; he was a brother to the younger guys. Football will miss his energy.”
- Brice Dja Djédjé (Guingamp Midfielder): “He had everything to become a star. This is heartbreaking.”
- Former OL Scout: “We saw him as the next big thing. A tragedy for French football.” (Anonymous source to L’Équipe)
What Happens Next?
For Guingamp, the focus will remain on securing a playoff spot. Without Kies, the team will need to rely on depth from their academy and loan signings. Their next match—against Pau on June 15 at 20:45 UTC (local time)—will be a critical test.
For Kies’s family, the coming days will be the most difficult. Legal and medical teams are expected to provide updates by June 14, with a funeral likely to be held in Lyon. Guingamp has not yet announced whether they will wear a black armband in his memory during their remaining matches.
Confirmed next steps:
- June 14: Expected update from hospital and family
- June 15: Guingamp vs. Pau (20:45 UTC)
- June 17–18: Funeral arrangements (location TBD)
- June 22: Guingamp vs. Niort (20:45 UTC)
Key Questions Answered
1. Is Kenzo Kies still alive?
No. Doctors confirmed brain death on June 11, and he is being kept on life support pending family decisions regarding organ donation.
2. Can brain-dead patients recover?
No. Brain death is irreversible. All brain activity, including the brainstem, has ceased. Life support maintains circulation and respiration artificially.

3. Will Guingamp retire Kies’ number?
Not yet. The club has not made an official announcement, but tributes suggest they may honor him in some way before the season ends.
4. How common are drowning incidents in football?
Rare but tragic. In 2023, a Ligue 2 player for Sochaux suffered a similar incident during training, though he survived with minor injuries.
How to Follow Updates
For the latest developments on Kenzo Kies’s condition and Guingamp’s season, follow:
Share your thoughts on Kies’s legacy and Guingamp’s season in the comments below.
Worth a look