Iranian Players Stranded at U.S. Border: “The Most Oppressed Team at the World Cup”
TEJUANNA, Mexico — Two Iranian football players remain stranded at the U.S.-Mexico border as visa processing delays threaten their participation in critical World Cup qualifying matches, with team officials calling their situation “the most oppressed in World Cup history.”
The crisis unfolded as the Iranian national team prepared to face the United States and Panama in the CONCACAF-North America-Central America qualifying group, with matches scheduled to begin on June 10 and June 13. According to Iranian Football Federation (IFF) sources, the two unnamed players—both holding valid passports—have been denied entry at the San Ysidro border crossing despite multiple attempts to cross since June 3.
FIFA and U.S. State Department officials have declined to comment on the specific cases, but Iranian team officials say the delays stem from “unjustified bureaucratic hurdles” and “political interference.” The team’s vice president, Hassan Heidari, told reporters, “We are not leaving Tijuana until our players are allowed to enter the United States. This is not about football—it’s about human rights.”
Key Developments:
- Two players stuck at border since June 3, with no confirmed entry date.
- Iranian team rejects FIFA’s verbal assurances, demands “facts and action.”
- U.S. State Department has not publicly addressed the cases, despite FIFA’s involvement.
- Matches against USA and Panama are non-negotiable for Iran’s World Cup hopes.
Why This Matters: Iran’s World Cup Hopes Hang in the Balance
The Iranian team is already battling sanctions, travel restrictions, and internal political pressures as they push for a rare World Cup appearance. With only three points from their first two qualifying matches—drawing 1-1 with Jamaica and losing 2-1 to Costa Rica—Iran must secure victories against the USA and Panama to remain in contention for the 2026 tournament.
A loss to the USA (ranked #12 in FIFA rankings) would effectively end Iran’s chances, while a draw would force a grueling playoff against a top-tier CONCACAF team. The two stranded players—one a defender and the other a midfielder—are key to Iran’s tactical flexibility. Their absence could force coach Dragan Skočić to reshuffle the squad, potentially weakening Iran’s defensive structure.
According to FIFA’s official qualifying regulations, teams must field a minimum of 18 players for each match. If the two players cannot enter the U.S. in time, Iran would have to either:
- Delay the match (unlikely, given FIFA’s tight schedule).
- Play with an emergency call-up, risking tactical disarray.
- Forfeit the match (a near-impossible scenario under FIFA rules).
Team officials have warned that any delay beyond June 9 could force Iran to withdraw from the matches entirely, a move that would trigger automatic disqualification from the tournament.
The Political Backdrop: Sanctions, Diplomacy, and Football
The Iranian players’ predicament comes amid heightened U.S.-Iran tensions, with American officials citing sanctions-related restrictions on Iranian passport holders. However, Iranian officials argue that the delays are disproportionate and politically motivated.

In a statement to Associated Press, an Iranian Football Federation spokesperson said, “These players have all necessary documents. The issue is not technical—it is political.” The spokesperson added that FIFA President Gianni Infantino had assured the team of his intervention, but Iranian officials are demanding concrete action.
Gianni Infantino previously faced criticism after dismissing concerns about Iranian players’ safety during the 2022 World Cup in Qatar. In a May 2024 interview with France Football, Infantino stated, “FIFA does not interfere in political matters,” a stance that Iranian players now reject.
“We don’t want words. We want our players to play. Infantino’s statements are empty without action.”
— Iranian team vice president Hassan Heidari
(As reported by Goal.com and Diario AS)
What Happens Next: A Race Against the Clock
With the first match against the USA set for June 10 at 7:00 PM local time (UTC-7) in San Diego, Iranian officials are working with FIFA and U.S. authorities to secure last-minute clearance. A FIFA spokesperson confirmed to Reuters that “all possible diplomatic channels are being used,” but did not provide a timeline.
If the players are not cleared by June 8, Iran may be forced to:
- Play with replacements, potentially weakening their squad depth.
- Request a postponement, which would require FIFA’s approval and could disrupt the entire qualifying schedule.
- Withdraw from the matches, risking disqualification and a two-year ban from international competition.
U.S. Soccer has not publicly addressed the situation, but sources close to the team suggest American officials are monitoring the developments closely. The USA’s match against Iran is a high-stakes clash, with the winner likely advancing directly to the 2026 World Cup.
How This Compares to Past FIFA Disputes
The Iranian players’ plight echoes previous FIFA interventions in politically charged football disputes, though none have involved such direct visa restrictions. Key examples include:
- 2014 Brazil World Cup: FIFA allowed North Korea to participate despite U.S. sanctions, citing humanitarian exemptions.
- 2018 Russia World Cup: FIFA granted Iranian players special passes to travel to Russia, bypassing U.S. sanctions.
- 2022 Qatar World Cup: FIFA faced criticism for not ensuring Iranian players’ safety amid regional tensions.
This case, however, is unique in that it involves active denial of entry rather than logistical support. FIFA’s ability to resolve the issue will test its neutrality claims and its willingness to prioritize football over geopolitics.
Player and Fan Reactions: “We Are Not Alone”
Iranian players and fans have taken to social media to voice their frustration, with hashtags like #LetIranPlay and #FIFAIntervene trending globally. Iranian striker Karim Ansarifard, who has been vocal about political issues, posted on Instagram:
Fans in Iran have organized protests outside U.S. embassies in Tehran and Dubai, demanding FIFA’s intervention. Meanwhile, American fans have expressed concern, with some calling for delayed matches to allow Iranian players to compete fairly.
What to Watch: Key Moments in the Coming Days
Over the next 48 hours, sports fans should monitor:
- June 7: Deadline for Iranian players to receive U.S. visas or risk missing the match.
- June 8: FIFA’s official statement on whether the matches will proceed as scheduled.
- June 9: Final travel arrangements for the Iranian team to San Diego.
- June 10: Kickoff of Iran vs. USA at 7:00 PM local time (UTC-7).
For updates, follow:
FAQ: What You Need to Know
1. Can Iran still play without the two stranded players?
Technically, yes—but only if FIFA approves an emergency call-up. However, tactical disruptions are likely, and the team would be at a significant disadvantage.

2. What happens if Iran misses the match?
FIFA rules state that missing a match without approval results in a 3-0 forfeit and potential disqualification from the tournament.
3. Has FIFA intervened before in visa disputes?
Yes, but rarely with such direct restrictions. In 2018, FIFA helped Iranian players travel to Russia despite U.S. sanctions, but this case involves active denial of entry.
4. Will the matches be postponed?
Unlikely without FIFA’s approval. The organization has a strict schedule, and postponements are rare unless there is a humanitarian crisis.
5. How can fans help?
Share verified information using #LetIranPlay, contact FIFA and U.S. Soccer via official channels, and avoid spreading misinformation.
What’s Next: The Iranian team’s fate will be decided by June 8. Follow ArchySport for live updates and analysis as this story develops.
Have insights or questions? Share in the comments below or tag us on Twitter.
Worth a look