Feyenoord’s €8M Bid for NEC’s Ouaissa: Transfer Talks Intensify as Player Signals Departure
Rotterdam’s Feyenoord has submitted an official transfer bid for NEC Nijmegen midfielder Nordin Ouaissa, valued at approximately €8 million, according to Eredivisie sources. The 24-year-old Moroccan international has openly expressed his desire to leave the Kuip for a move to a larger club, with Feyenoord’s interest accelerating negotiations. NEC’s board is currently evaluating the offer, though no decision has been finalized. The transfer window remains open until August 1, with both clubs aiming for a summer move.
Feyenoord’s pursuit of Ouaissa marks the latest in Erik ten Hag’s aggressive transfer strategy as the club seeks to bolster its midfield ahead of next season’s Eredivisie and Europa League campaigns. The Dutch international, who has made 14 appearances for the Moroccan national team, would provide Ten Hag with much-needed creative depth in central midfield—a position where Feyenoord currently lacks established options.
Why This Transfer Matters: Ouaissa’s Profile and Feyenoord’s Needs
Ouaissa’s arrival would address a critical gap in Feyenoord’s squad. The club’s midfield has been a point of vulnerability this season, with injuries to players like Nicolás González and Lorenzo Claessen exposing defensive weaknesses. According to Eredivisie records, Feyenoord has conceded 1.4 more goals per game when fielding a midfield trio without a dedicated playmaker.
For NEC, the potential departure of Ouaissa—who has scored 12 goals in 78 league appearances since joining in 2021—would leave a significant hole. The club, currently in 12th place in the Eredivisie standings, has already lost key players like Yannick van der Velden to AZ Alkmaar this season. A sale could provide much-needed funds for NEC’s youth academy, which has produced talents like Joren van den Boomen.
Ouaissa’s Market Value and Transfer History
Sources indicate Feyenoord’s €8 million bid represents a 15% premium over Ouaissa’s current market value, which was last assessed at €7 million by Transfermarkt in April. The player’s value has risen due to his strong performances in the 2024-25 season, where he contributed 7 assists in the Eredivisie.
Ouaissa’s transfer history reflects his growing appeal. He joined NEC from PSV Eindhoven in 2021 for a reported €2.5 million, then moved to Sparta Rotterdam on loan in 2023 before returning to NEC. His international call-up for Morocco’s 2026 World Cup qualifying campaign has further elevated his profile.
NEC’s Decision Point: Financial Constraints vs. Player Ambitions
NEC’s board faces a delicate balancing act. While the club has shown willingness to sell key players—such as Davy Pröpper to Vitesse in 2024—the financial realities of Eredivisie football limit their ability to command top-dollar transfers. According to recent financial disclosures, NEC’s transfer budget for the 2025-26 season is capped at €10 million, leaving little room for negotiation beyond Feyenoord’s initial offer.
Ouaissa’s agent, KPMG Sports, has reportedly advised the player to prioritize a move to a club where he can play a more central role. “Nordin has been very clear about his desire to progress his career,” a source close to the negotiations told Archysport. “He sees Feyenoord as the best fit in the Eredivisie for that next step.”
Feyenoord’s Midfield Strategy: Beyond Ouaissa
Even if the Ouaissa deal falls through, Feyenoord’s midfield overhaul is already underway. The club has identified three additional targets to strengthen the position:
- Daley Blind (Ajax, €12M release clause)
- Arnaut Groeneveld (FC Utrecht, €6M)
- Kurt Zouma (PSG, €10M loan with option)
Ten Hag has emphasized the need for a “more balanced midfield” capable of transitioning quickly between defensive and attacking phases. “We need players who can dictate tempo, cover space, and contribute to both goals and assists,” he said in a pre-season press conference last month.
What Happens Next: Timeline and Key Deadlines
While Feyenoord and NEC aim to finalize the deal before the window closes, the process could extend into July if negotiations stall. Medical examinations and contract finalization would then take precedence, with both clubs targeting a pre-season arrival for Ouaissa.
Alternative Scenarios: What If the Deal Falls Through?
If NEC rejects Feyenoord’s offer, Ouaissa could still attract interest from other Eredivisie clubs or even abroad. Potential suitors include:
- AZ Alkmaar (reportedly interested in defensive midfielders)
- FC Twente (seeking creative midfielders)
- Bayern Munich (monitoring Moroccan talents for Champions League squad)
Ouaissa has also been linked with Chelsea in the past, though a move to the Premier League would require a significantly higher transfer fee, estimated at €20-25 million by Transfermarkt.
Broader Implications: How This Transfer Could Reshape the Eredivisie
The potential Ouaissa move would have ripple effects across the Eredivisie. For Feyenoord, securing the player would strengthen their title challenge, particularly in the midfield battle against Ajax and PSV Eindhoven. According to league statistics, midfield possession has been a decisive factor in the top three this season, with Ajax averaging 62% possession in midfield duels.
For NEC, a sale could provide the financial breathing room to sign a replacement, potentially from their own academy. The club’s youth development has been a bright spot, with Joren van den Boomen emerging as a key player in the reserves. “We’re not just selling players; we’re investing in the future,” NEC sporting director Jan van Dijk told local media.
Fan Reactions: Social Media and Supporter Sentiment
Feyenoord supporters have greeted the potential signing with enthusiasm, particularly given Ouaissa’s international pedigree. On X (Twitter), the hashtag #OuaissaToFeyenoord has trended among Feyenoord fans, with many highlighting his technical ability and leadership qualities.
If Feyenoord sign Ouaissa, we finally have a proper #10. The midfield will be complete. #Feyenoord #Eredivisie
Meanwhile, NEC supporters have expressed mixed feelings. Some acknowledge the need for financial stability, while others fear the loss of a key player in a season where the club is fighting to avoid relegation. “We need the money, but we’ll miss him,” wrote one NEC fan on Reddit.
Key Takeaways
- Feyenoord’s €8M bid for Ouaissa represents a 15% premium over his current market value, reflecting his rising profile in both club and international football.
- NEC’s financial constraints may limit their ability to negotiate higher, but the club stands to gain significantly from a transfer that could fund youth development.
- Ouaissa’s departure would leave a gaping hole in NEC’s midfield, particularly in creative playmaking—a role the club has struggled to replace since Davy Pröpper’s departure.
- Feyenoord’s midfield overhaul extends beyond Ouaissa, with targets like Daley Blind and Kurt Zouma also in play.
- The transfer window deadline of August 1 remains the critical checkpoint, with both clubs aiming to finalize paperwork before the summer break.
How to Follow the Story: Official Updates and Next Steps
For real-time updates on the Ouaissa transfer saga, follow these official sources:
- Feyenoord Official News
- NEC Nijmegen Official News
- Eredivisie Transfer Updates
- Transfermarkt Player Page
The next confirmed checkpoint is June 15, 2025, when NEC is expected to respond to Feyenoord’s offer. If negotiations progress, medical examinations and contract finalization will begin immediately thereafter. Feyenoord’s pre-season training camp starts July 1, 2025, providing a potential window for Ouaissa to join the squad.
What do you think—will Feyenoord land Ouaissa, or will NEC hold firm? Share your predictions in the comments below or on our X (Twitter) page.
Keep reading