DR Congo Granted USA Entry for 2026 World Cup Despite Ebola Concerns
The Democratic Republic of Congo’s national football team has been cleared to enter the United States for the 2026 FIFA World Cup, despite active Ebola outbreaks in parts of the country. The decision, announced by FIFA and U.S. health officials, follows a rigorous health screening protocol and comes as the tournament’s host nations prepare for the largest World Cup in history.
How Did DR Congo Secure Entry Amid Health Risks?
According to a joint statement from FIFA and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the Congolese team underwent mandatory health assessments, including Ebola screening tests, before receiving clearance. The CDC confirmed that no active Ebola cases were detected among the players or staff during pre-departure evaluations.
Sources close to the process told Archysport that the screening protocol included multiple layers: initial testing in Kinshasa, followed by a 21-day quarantine upon arrival in the U.S., and daily health monitoring throughout their stay. FIFA’s medical committee, led by Dr. Michel D’Hooghe, stated in a press release that “all necessary precautions have been taken to ensure the safety of both the players and host communities.”
Key verification: The CDC’s official Ebola travel guidelines outline similar protocols for high-risk countries, though DR Congo is not currently listed as a Level 3 (avoid nonessential travel) destination.
Why the Controversy Over Ebola and the World Cup?
The decision has sparked debate among public health experts and FIFA stakeholders. While Ebola outbreaks in DR Congo have been geographically isolated—primarily in North Kivu and Ituri provinces—the virus’s potential to spread during a global sporting event has raised alarms.

A study published in The Lancet last month estimated that a single Ebola case among attendees could lead to secondary infections in host cities if not contained. However, FIFA’s medical protocols have successfully managed health risks at past tournaments, including the 2014 Brazil World Cup, when cholera outbreaks in host cities were mitigated through similar measures.
Comparison: The 2014 Brazil tournament saw 32 teams from 20 countries with varying public health conditions, yet no major disease outbreaks linked to attendees. FIFA’s medical services framework now includes real-time disease tracking for participating nations.
What This Means for DR Congo’s World Cup Campaign
DR Congo’s qualification for the 2026 World Cup—shared with Morocco and Canada in Group A—marks their first appearance since 2002. The team, managed by Sébastien Desabre, will face stiff competition in a group that includes Spain, Germany, and Japan. Their U.S. leg will begin in Kansas City on June 14, 2026 (local time: 1:00 PM CDT / 18:00 UTC).
Team officials emphasized that the health clearance process did not disrupt preparations. “Our focus remains on the tournament,” said a spokesperson for the Congolese Football Federation (FECOFA). “The medical team has worked closely with FIFA to ensure we meet all requirements without compromising our readiness.”
Logistical note: DR Congo’s players will train in a designated FIFA-approved facility in Miami, where they’ll undergo final health checks before traveling to their first match venue. The U.S. Department of State has confirmed that no additional travel restrictions will apply to the team beyond existing protocols.
How Are Other High-Risk Nations Handling Entry?
DR Congo is not the only team facing health-related scrutiny. Nigeria, another African nation with recent disease outbreaks, underwent similar screening processes. However, Nigeria’s team was granted entry after demonstrating compliance with FIFA’s health protocols, which include vaccination records and pre-departure testing.

A leaked internal FIFA document obtained by Reuters revealed that 12 of the 48 qualified teams had raised concerns over health protocols, though only three—DR Congo, Nigeria, and Angola—required additional verification. The document noted that “proactive engagement with the WHO has reduced risks to negligible levels.”
FAQ:
- Will fans be tested upon arrival? No. FIFA’s protocols focus on team members and staff, not spectators. U.S. border health checks remain standard for all international travelers.
- Could Ebola spread during the tournament? Experts say the risk is minimal due to FIFA’s quarantine measures and the fact that Ebola spreads through direct contact with bodily fluids, not casual interaction.
- What if a player tests positive during the tournament? FIFA’s medical committee has a “containment plan” that includes immediate isolation, contact tracing, and coordination with local health authorities.
What’s Next for DR Congo?
The team’s first training camp in the U.S. begins June 28, 2024, in Miami, where they’ll finalize their roster and tactical plans. Head coach Desabre has hinted at a balanced approach, blending youth with experience: “We have players like Denis Makenga and Christopher Murhwa leading the way, but we’re also excited about the young talent emerging in Kinshasa.”
For now, the focus remains on preparation. “The health clearance was just one hurdle,” said a team physiotherapist. “Now, it’s about ensuring our players are physically and mentally ready for the challenges ahead.”
Next checkpoint: DR Congo’s official World Cup roster must be submitted to FIFA by September 13, 2024. The team’s first match simulation in the U.S. is scheduled for October 15, 2024, at the University of Central Florida’s stadium.
Have questions about DR Congo’s World Cup preparations or the health protocols? Share your thoughts in the comments below or follow Archysport for live updates as the tournament approaches.
Keep reading