New York Yankees’ newly acquired ace pitcher Cameron Schmittler broke his silence on Tuesday regarding credible death threats he received ahead of this weekend’s high-stakes series against the Boston Red Sox, confirming the allegations initially reported by South Korean media outlets but emphasizing that law enforcement and team security are actively managing the situation.
Schmittler, who joined the Yankees in a blockbuster trade deadline deal from the San Diego Padres last month, revealed during a pregame press conference at Yankee Stadium that he had been contacted by an unknown individual making specific threats to his safety. The threats, which included references to violence occurring during or after Friday night’s scheduled matchup at Fenway Park, were first disclosed in a Korean-language report on May 21st that cited unnamed sources close to the pitcher.
“It’s something no athlete should ever have to deal with, especially heading into a rivalry game that means so much to both fanbases,” Schmittler said, his voice steady but visibly affected. “I’ve spoken with Yankees security, MLB investigators, and local authorities in both New York and Boston. They’re taking it seriously, and I’m focusing on what I can control — preparing to pitch and helping my team win.”
The Yankees organization confirmed through a spokesperson that they are cooperating fully with the FBI’s Boston division and the New York Police Department’s threat assessment unit. “Player safety is our paramount concern,” the statement read. “We have implemented enhanced security protocols for Cameron and our traveling party, and we will not tolerate any threats against those who wear this uniform.”
MLB issued a separate statement acknowledging awareness of the situation and confirming that its Department of Investigations is engaged. “We take all threats against our personnel with the utmost seriousness,” the league said. “While we cannot comment on ongoing investigations, we are in close contact with club security and law enforcement to ensure a safe environment for everyone involved.”
The timing of the threats adds a troubling layer to one of baseball’s most storied rivalries. The Yankees and Red Sox are set to begin a four-game series at Fenway Park on Friday night, with first pitch scheduled for 7:10 p.m. ET (23:10 UTC). Both teams are locked in a tight battle for the American League East lead, with New York holding a half-game advantage over Boston as of Tuesday’s games.
Schmittler, 29, has been a revelation since joining the Yankees, posting a 2.10 ERA over his first five starts with 38 strikeouts in 30 innings. His arrival has bolstered a rotation that already featured Gerrit Cole and Carlos Rodón, giving New York one of the most formidable starting lineups in the league. Opponents are batting just .187 against him since the trade, with a 0.92 WHIP.
Red Sox manager Alex Cora declined to comment directly on the threats when asked before Tuesday’s game against the Toronto Blue Jays, instead focusing on baseball matters. “Our thoughts are with Cameron and his family,” Cora said. “We hope this gets resolved quickly so everyone can focus on the game.”
The threats approach amid heightened security concerns across professional sports following several high-profile incidents in recent years. In 2022, a man was arrested outside Nationals Park after making threats toward players, and in 2023, increased security was deployed at multiple MLB stadiums following online chatter targeting specific athletes.
Yankees fans have responded with an outpouring of support on social media, using the hashtag #StandWithSchmittler to condemn the threats and show solidarity. Outside Yankee Stadium on Tuesday, a small group of supporters gathered with signs reading “Pitch Without Fear” and “Boston Better Behave.”
Schmittler said he has not altered his routine despite the situation, continuing to work with pitching coach Matt Blake and maintaining his pre-game rituals. “Fear doesn’t belong on the mound,” he said. “My job is to execute pitches, compete, and trust that the people whose job it is to protect us are doing theirs.”
Looking ahead, Schmittler is slated to start the series opener for New York on Friday night at Fenway Park. If he takes the ball as expected, it will mark his first appearance against Boston since joining the Yankees and his second career start at the historic ballpark.
The winner of this weekend’s series could gain crucial momentum in the AL East race, with both teams eyeing not only divisional supremacy but also favorable positioning for the upcoming MLB trade deadline and playoff seeding. A sweep by either side could shift the balance of power significantly in a division where every game carries outsized weight.
As of Wednesday morning, no arrests have been made in connection with the threats, and the investigation remains active. Both the FBI and NYPD have urged anyone with information to come forward through official channels.
For Schmittler, the focus remains on baseball — and on refusing to let fear dictate his presence in a game he loves. “I didn’t come here to back down,” he said. “I came to compete. And that’s exactly what I intend to do.”
The Yankees-Red Sox series begins Friday at 7:10 p.m. ET at Fenway Park, with subsequent games scheduled for Saturday (4:10 p.m. ET), Sunday (1:10 p.m. ET), and Monday (7:10 p.m. ET). Fans can follow live updates through MLB’s official app and the Yankees’ and Red Sox’ verified social media accounts.
What are your thoughts on how athletes should be protected from threats like these? Share your perspective in the comments below, and if you found this report informative, consider sharing it with fellow baseball fans who value integrity and safety in the sport.