Trump Envoy Proposes Replacing Iran with Italy at 2026 World Cup to Repair Relations with Meloni, Despite FIFA Confirming Iran’s Participation

A US special envoy to President Donald Trump has formally urged FIFA to replace Iran with Italy at the 2026 FIFA World Cup, according to a report by the Financial Times. Paolo Zampolli, who serves as a special envoy to the Trump administration, confirmed he proposed the idea to both Trump and FIFA President Gianni Infantino.

“I can confirm I have suggested to Trump and [Fifa president Gianni] Infantino that Italy replace Iran at the World Cup,” Zampolli told the Financial Times. He added that he is of Italian descent and described seeing the Italian national team compete in a US-hosted tournament as “a dream.”

Zampolli justified the proposal by referencing Italy’s historical pedigree, stating, “With four titles, they have the reputation that justifies inclusion.” Italy failed to qualify for the 2026 World Cup after losing a playoff semifinal to Bosnia and Herzegovina, marking their third consecutive absence from the tournament.

The suggestion appears motivated by diplomatic considerations rather than sporting merit. Reports indicate Zampolli aims to repair strained relations between Trump and Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni, which deteriorated following Trump’s public criticism of Pope Leo XIV—a move Meloni publicly condemned.

Despite the proposal, Iran has affirmed its intention to participate. Iranian officials have stated the team is prepared for the tournament, and FIFA President Gianni Infantino has repeatedly insisted Iran will compete. “The Iranian team will definitely be there,” Infantino said during an appearance on CNBC’s “Invest in America Forum,” emphasizing the importance of Iran’s presence at the World Cup.

Iran’s group stage matches are scheduled to take place in the United States, with fixtures against Belgium, New Zealand, and Egypt set for venues in Seattle and near Los Angeles. Iran had requested to relocate its matches to Mexico, but FIFA denied the request.

The 2026 FIFA World Cup will be hosted across the United States, Canada, and Mexico, with the opening match set for June 11 and the final scheduled for July 19. This will be the first World Cup expanded to 48 teams and the first hosted by three nations.

As of now, neither the White House, FIFA, the Italian Football Federation, nor Iran’s football federation has issued an official response to Zampolli’s proposal. Iran’s participation remains officially confirmed by FIFA leadership.

The situation underscores the intersection of sports and international diplomacy, particularly in a tournament hosted by a nation whose government is actively involved in the proposal. Whether FIFA will entertain the request remains uncertain, but Iran’s place in the tournament currently stands as confirmed by the sport’s governing body.

Stay tuned for official updates from FIFA regarding team participation as the June 11 kickoff approaches.

Editor-in-Chief

Editor-in-Chief

Daniel Richardson is the Editor-in-Chief of Archysport, where he leads the editorial team and oversees all published content across nine sport verticals. With over 15 years in sports journalism, Daniel has reported from the FIFA World Cup, the Olympic Games, NFL Super Bowls, NBA Finals, and Grand Slam tennis tournaments. He previously served as Senior Sports Editor at Reuters and holds a Master's degree in Journalism from Columbia University. Recognized by the Sports Journalists' Association for excellence in reporting, Daniel is a member of the International Sports Press Association (AIPS). His editorial philosophy centers on accuracy, depth, and fair coverage — ensuring every story published on Archysport meets the highest standards of sports journalism.

Football Basketball NFL Tennis Baseball Golf Badminton Judo Sport News

Leave a Comment