McLaren CEO Zak Brown Says He’d Be “Shocked” If Christian Horner Didn’t Return to F1 — Alpine Stake Bid Underway

Formula 1 could see a familiar face return to the paddock sooner than expected, according to McLaren Racing CEO Zak Brown. Speaking at a McLaren media event on Wednesday, Brown stated he would be “shocked” if former Red Bull team principal Christian Horner did not make a comeback to the sport in the near future.

Brown’s comments reach amid ongoing speculation about Horner’s next move after his departure from Red Bull Racing last July. The British executive spent two decades at the helm of the Milton Keynes-based team, overseeing a period of sustained success that included eight drivers’ and six constructors’ championships. His exit followed an internal investigation into allegations of inappropriate behaviour, for which he was cleared twice in 2024, alongside broader organizational shifts after the death of Red Bull co-founder Dietrich Mateschitz and the departure of key figures like Adrian Newey.

Despite their historically fractious relationship—marked by public disagreements over Red Bull’s cost-cap breach, on-track incidents involving Lando Norris and Max Verstappen, and the fallout from the internal investigation—Brown spoke highly of Horner’s contributions to the sport. “Christian was a great personality for the sport,” Brown said. “They come and head. It’d be great to have Christian back in the sport. He’s a great operator. His track record speaks for itself.”

Brown emphasized that while he values strong leadership, he would prefer to see capable figures like Horner involved rather than a grid filled with less experienced team principals. “I’d rather have 10 weak team principals, but that’s not going to happen anytime soon,” he added. “There’s huge talent coming up all the time, but it’d be great to have him back.”

The McLaren CEO also revealed he believes Horner’s passion for Formula 1 makes a return almost inevitable. “I’m sure given his passion… I’d be shocked if he wasn’t back in the sport,” Brown stated, underscoring his confidence that the 51-year-old will identify a way to re-engage with the paddock.

Horner has been linked with several potential avenues back into Formula 1 since leaving Red Bull. Most notably, he has been connected to a consortium interested in acquiring a 24% stake in the Alpine F1 team, which is currently being sold by investment firm Otro Capital. The proposed deal has drawn interest from multiple parties, including Mercedes, which has previously confirmed its interest in buying into Alpine, and Aston Martin. Horner’s involvement in the consortium has positioned him as a potential buyer rather than just a management candidate, signaling a shift toward an ownership role in the sport.

Beyond Alpine, Horner’s name has surfaced in conversations about other opportunities across the F1 landscape. Reports have indicated he has sounded out various teams regarding potential roles, with some suggesting he could be considered for senior positions elsewhere—including, speculatively, a top-tier role at Ferrari, though no formal discussions have been confirmed.

Brown also touched on broader structural trends in Formula 1 during his remarks, referencing the growing interest in “A/B team” models. He cited Mercedes’ involvement with Alpine and Red Bull’s existing structure with Racing Bulls as a junior team as examples of how collaborations and shared resources are shaping the sport’s future. “I’ve spoken passionately about the concept of A/B teams in Formula 1,” Brown noted, highlighting how such arrangements could create pathways for experienced figures like Horner to remain influential.

The possibility of Horner’s return carries symbolic weight for a sport that has seen several long-standing figures depart in recent years. His tenure at Red Bull coincided with one of the most dominant eras in Formula 1 history, defined by technical innovation, strategic precision, and sustained success under the current regulatory framework. Re-entering the paddock—whether through ownership, advisory, or operational roles—would mark a significant moment in the ongoing evolution of team dynamics and leadership in the sport.

As of now, no official announcement has been made regarding Horner’s immediate plans. The Alpine stake transaction remains under discussion, with no confirmed timeline for completion. However, Brown’s public endorsement adds weight to the growing expectation that Horner will not remain absent from Formula 1 for long.

For continued updates on Christian Horner’s potential return to Formula 1 and developments surrounding the Alpine investment situation, fans are encouraged to follow official team announcements and trusted motorsport news sources.

What do you think about the possibility of Christian Horner returning to Formula 1? Share your thoughts in the comments below, and don’t forget to share this article with fellow racing fans who’ve followed the sport’s evolving storylines.

Editor-in-Chief

Editor-in-Chief

Daniel Richardson is the Editor-in-Chief of Archysport, where he leads the editorial team and oversees all published content across nine sport verticals. With over 15 years in sports journalism, Daniel has reported from the FIFA World Cup, the Olympic Games, NFL Super Bowls, NBA Finals, and Grand Slam tennis tournaments. He previously served as Senior Sports Editor at Reuters and holds a Master's degree in Journalism from Columbia University. Recognized by the Sports Journalists' Association for excellence in reporting, Daniel is a member of the International Sports Press Association (AIPS). His editorial philosophy centers on accuracy, depth, and fair coverage — ensuring every story published on Archysport meets the highest standards of sports journalism.

Football Basketball NFL Tennis Baseball Golf Badminton Judo Sport News

Leave a Comment