Washington, D.C. – A top envoy to U.S. President Donald Trump has formally requested that FIFA replace Iran with Italy in the 2026 FIFA World Cup, according to multiple verified reports. The request, made by Paolo Zampolli, a special envoy appointed by the Trump administration, was reported by the Financial Times and confirmed by other reputable outlets including Fox News and The Guardian.
Zampolli, an Italian native, told the Financial Times that he had directly suggested the swap to both President Trump and FIFA President Gianni Infantino. “I confirm I have suggested to Trump and [FIFA president Gianni] Infantino that Italy replace Iran at the World Cup,” Zampolli stated. “I’m an Italian native, and it would be a dream to notice the Azzurri at a U.S.-hosted tournament. With four titles, they have the pedigree to justify inclusion.”
The reported motivation behind the request appears to be diplomatic. According to the Financial Times, the proposal is part of an effort to mend strained relations between Trump and Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni, which deteriorated following the U.S. President’s public comments about Pope Leo XIV in relation to the Iran conflict. The Guardian noted that the plan aims to “repair ties” between the two leaders after their public disagreement.
Iran’s national team had qualified for the 2026 World Cup through the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) qualifying process, securing their place in the tournament set to be hosted jointly by the United States, Canada, and Mexico. Italy, by contrast, failed to qualify after losing a penalty shootout to Bosnia and Herzegovina in the UEFA playoff final in March 2026. The match ended 4-1 on penalties after a 1-1 draw in regular and extra time, marking Italy’s third consecutive absence from the World Cup finals.
The Italian Football Federation (FIGC) confirmed that Italy did not advance past the qualification stage, with defender Leonardo Spinazzola expressing disbelief at the outcome following the match. “We still don’t believe it that we’re out and that it happened in this manner,” Spinazzola told reporters, as reported by the Novel York Post and cited by Fox News.
FIFA has not publicly commented on the request, and as of the latest reports, neither the world governing body nor the Iranian Football Federation (FFIRI) has issued an official response to the proposal. The White House also did not immediately respond to requests for comment from Reuters when approached for verification.
The 2026 World Cup will feature an expanded format of 48 teams, the first time the tournament will include such a number. Matches will be played across 16 cities in the three host nations, with the final scheduled for July 19, 2026, at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey. The tournament begins on June 11, 2026.
While the idea of replacing a qualified team with one that failed to qualify is unprecedented in modern World Cup history, FIFA’s statutes do allow for exceptional circumstances to be considered by its emergency committee. However, no such precedent exists for a team being swapped out purely on diplomatic or political grounds after qualification has been confirmed.
Iran’s qualification was confirmed after a series of strong performances in the AFC third round of qualifying, where they finished top of their group ahead of South Korea and Uzbekistan. Their squad, known for its disciplined defensive organization and experienced core, had been preparing for the tournament under head coach Amir Ghalenoei.
For Italy, the failure to qualify represents a continued decline for a nation that won the World Cup in 2006 and has historically been one of the most successful teams in international football. The Azzurri also missed the 2018 and 2022 tournaments, making 2026 their third straight absence—a first in the nation’s history.
The proposal has sparked debate among football administrators and analysts about the potential politicization of sporting competitions. While FIFA has historically maintained a stance of neutrality in political matters, the involvement of a high-level government envoy in team selection procedures raises questions about the boundaries between sport and diplomacy.
As of now, Iran remains officially qualified for the 2026 World Cup, and Italy’s path to participation would require either an unprecedented FIFA intervention or a withdrawal by another qualified team—neither of which has been indicated as likely by official sources.
The next confirmed checkpoint in the tournament timeline is the official draw for the group stage, scheduled to take place in late 2025. Until then, all 48 qualified teams—including Iran—are expected to continue their preparations for the summer 2026 tournament.
What do you reckon about this developments? Should political considerations influence World Cup participation? Share your thoughts in the comments below and stay tuned to Archysport for the latest updates on the 2026 FIFA World Cup.