Sergiño Dest has made it clear he hopes to leave PSV Eindhoven after the 2026 FIFA World Cup, aiming to test himself in a bigger European league. The United States men’s national team defender shared his ambitions in a recent interview with NOS, the Dutch public broadcaster, emphasizing his desire to continue growing as a player.
The 25-year-old full-back, born in Almere, Netherlands, is entering his third season with PSV and still has a contract running through 2028. Despite his contractual commitment, Dest expressed that he feels ready for a new challenge, particularly one that allows him to compete weekly against Europe’s elite.
“I find PSV a fantastic club, so the story of another club would have to make sense. But I want to preserve challenging myself,” Dest said in the NOS voetbalpodcast Buitenspel. “I want to be able to push myself every week in a bigger league and measure myself against the best.”
Dest acknowledged that while several clubs have shown preliminary interest, nothing is concrete yet. “But nothing is still concrete. Those things are still far away,” he added, maintaining a cautious outlook on his future.
His comments come as he continues to recover from a hamstring injury sustained on March 7 during a PSV match against AZ. Dest went down in severe pain after a collision, sparking initial fears about his availability for the upcoming World Cup, which kicks off on June 12 with the USMNT facing Paraguay on home soil.
However, Dest recently offered an encouraging update on his recovery. In a Q&A session on the USMNT’s Instagram account on April 20, he stated he was “almost back” from the injury. “I’m doing really well,” he said. “I had great sessions, and I’m almost back. I worked really hard for this moment, so I’m gonna be there. I’m gonna be fine. And no worries.”
PSV coach Peter Bosz echoed this optimism earlier in April, noting that Dest’s rehabilitation was progressing well and that he expected the defender to return before the end of the Eredivisie season, which concludes on May 17.
Dest has earned 37 caps for the United States men’s national team, scoring two goals. He started all four matches for the USMNT at the 2022 World Cup in Qatar and is expected to be a key contributor again in 2026 if fully fit.
His time at PSV includes a permanent move in June 2024 after a successful loan spell during the 2023-24 season, during which he helped the Eindhoven club win the Eredivisie title. PSV has since secured a third consecutive league title, with four matches remaining in the current campaign as of mid-April 2026.
Looking back, Dest reflected on a previous setback: an ACL injury in April 2024 that sidelined him for nearly a year while he was on loan from Barcelona. “I really would have liked to see where I would have played after that season with PSV. I played really well and maintained a consistent level,” he said, expressing confidence in his abilities.
This season, Dest has struggled with consistency due to the ongoing hamstring issue, which has kept him sidelined since early March. The 37-time international has cautiously resumed group training with PSV as he works toward full fitness.
Should Dest depart PSV after the World Cup, it would mark another chapter in a career that has already seen him play for Jong Ajax, Ajax senior team, Barcelona, and AC Milan (on loan). He joined Barcelona in October 2020 for a reported fee of €21 million and won the 2020-21 Copa del Rey before his loan moves to Italy and the Netherlands.
Internationally, Dest has been a regular for the USMNT since his debut in September 2019. He has helped the United States win the CONCACAF Nations League in 2021, 2023, and 2024, and was part of the squad that won the 2018 CONCACAF U-20 Championship.
As the World Cup approaches, Dest’s immediate focus remains on regaining full match fitness and contributing to the USMNT’s campaign on home soil. His long-term ambition, however, is clear: to leave PSV and establish himself in one of Europe’s top leagues, where he can continually measure himself against the best players in the world.
The next confirmed checkpoint for Sergiño Dest is the USMNT’s World Cup opening match against Paraguay on June 12, 2026. Fans can follow his recovery and team updates through the official channels of the United States Soccer Federation and PSV Eindhoven.