INDIAN WELLS, Calif. – History was made in the California desert this weekend as Jannik Sinner and Aryna Sabalenka each secured their first Indian Wells titles, marking a significant milestone in their careers. Sinner overcame a resilient Daniil Medvedev in a thrilling men’s final, while Sabalenka battled past Elena Rybakina in a captivating women’s championship match. Both victories represent first-time triumphs at the prestigious BNP Paribas Open, a Masters 1000 event for the men and a WTA 1000 tournament for the women.
The men’s final saw Sinner, the No. 2 ranked Italian, defeat Medvedev 7-6 (6), 7-6 (4) on Sunday. The match was a tightly contested affair, requiring two tiebreaks to decide the outcome. Sinner demonstrated remarkable composure, rallying from a 4-0 deficit in the second-set tiebreak to win seven consecutive points and ultimately secure the victory. This win marks Sinner’s sixth Masters 1000 title, achieved across six different tournaments, all on hard courts. It as well completes his collection of major hard-court titles, adding the BNP Paribas Open to his already impressive resume that includes the Australian Open, US Open, and the ATP Finals.
Medvedev, who had previously reached the Indian Wells final in 2023 and 2024, losing to Carlos Alcaraz on both occasions, had earlier upset Alcaraz in the semifinals. He was aiming to become only the second player, after Novak Djokovic, to defeat both of the current top players in men’s tennis – Alcaraz and Sinner – within the same tournament. Despite a strong performance, Medvedev was unable to convert any break points throughout the match, a testament to Sinner’s solid serving and defensive play.
“It has been a remarkably, very tough tournament,” Sinner told Sky Sports after the match. “In my mind I knew it was the only hard-court tournament of the huge ones I hadn’t won so I’m very happy about how I handled it. Seeing Daniil playing again this level, it’s important for tennis.”
The women’s final was equally dramatic, with Aryna Sabalenka, the world No. 1, emerging victorious against Elena Rybakina 3-6, 6-3, 7-6 (6) after a grueling 2 hours and 31 minutes. Sabalenka saved a match point and showcased her resilience to claim her first Indian Wells title. This victory is particularly significant for Sabalenka, as she had previously lost in the finals in 2023 to Rybakina and in 2024 to Mirra Andreeva.
Rybakina, despite the loss, is set to climb to a career-high ranking of No. 2 in the world on Monday, reflecting her consistent strong performances. She had entered the final on a 12-match winning streak against Top 10 opponents. Sabalenka’s win marks her tenth WTA 1000 title, tying her with Victoria Azarenka and trailing only Serena Williams (13) and Iga Swiatek (11) in the all-time standings.
“I decided on her match point to cover an outside serve, which she did, I was quite lucky, then I hit two good shots. That moment gave me a lot of mental strength,” Sabalenka commented after the match. “I always enjoy playing against her, she’s the nicest person on tour, even if I lose often. But I appreciate it because I know that facing her will be great tennis and a fight, which helps me become a better player.”
The tournament also saw notable performances from other players. Medvedev’s strong showing will see him return to the Top 10 in the world rankings on Monday. He recently won the title in Dubai, but his journey to Indian Wells was slightly delayed due to the ongoing conflict in the Middle East.
Beyond the tennis courts, Sinner took a moment to acknowledge the success of fellow Italian Kimi Antonelli, who won the Formula One Chinese Grand Prix on Sunday. “It hasn’t anything to do with tennis, but it has been a special day for Italy,” Sinner said. “Because I’m a huge Formula One fan and having a very, very young Italian, Kimi, bringing Italy back home at the top, it’s amazing. So, thanks, Kimi, thanks Formula One, and see you next year.”
These victories at Indian Wells represent a turning point for both Sinner and Sabalenka, solidifying their positions as dominant forces in the world of tennis. For Sinner, it’s the completion of a remarkable set of achievements, while for Sabalenka, it’s a breakthrough moment after several near misses. The tournament showcased high-level competition and thrilling matches, leaving fans eagerly anticipating the next chapter in these players’ careers.
Both Sinner and Sabalenka will now turn their attention to the upcoming clay court season, with the Monte-Carlo Masters and the Madrid Open on the horizon. Their performances in these tournaments will be closely watched as they prepare for the challenges of the French Open in May.
The next confirmed checkpoint for both players will be their participation in the Monte-Carlo Masters, beginning April 7th. Fans can follow official updates and schedules on the ATP and WTA websites.
What are your thoughts on Sinner and Sabalenka’s victories? Share your opinions in the comments below!