São Paulo – The dream of a sixth World Cup title for Brazil may become increasingly difficult to realize for Neymar, as the iconic forward continues to battle his way back to full fitness. Brazil’s national team manager, Carlo Ancelotti, has once again left the 34-year-old off the squad list for upcoming friendlies against France on March 26 and Croatia on April 1, raising serious questions about Neymar’s place in the final 2026 World Cup roster.
Neymar, who has 79 goals for Brazil, was initially included on an expansive preliminary squad list for the matches in the United States, but ultimately did not produce the final cut. This latest omission comes as the Brazilian superstar attempts to regain peak form following a significant knee injury sustained in October 2023, requiring subsequent surgery in December of the same year.
“I Can’t Just Accept This” – Neymar Expresses Disappointment
The decision has clearly frustrated Neymar, who voiced his disappointment publicly. Speaking on Monday evening during an appearance on the Kings League, Neymar stated, “I will talk about it, because I can’t just accept this. Of course, I am annoyed and sad that I was not called up.”
Despite his frustration, Neymar remains focused on his recovery and maintaining a positive outlook. “But the focus remains day by day, training by training, game by game. We will achieve our goal. There is still a final call-up for the World Cup, and my dream continues. We will get through this together,” he added.
Ancelotti Explains Rationale Behind Squad Selection
Ancelotti addressed the media regarding his decision, emphasizing the importance of player fitness. While not ruling out Neymar’s potential inclusion in the World Cup squad, he made it clear that the forward must be at 100% to be considered. “Neymar can be at the World Cup,” Ancelotti said. “If he comes to the World Cup at 100 percent fit, he can be there.”
The manager explained that his current squad selection prioritizes players who are currently fully fit and available. “Because he is not at 100 percent of his capability, and I need players who are 100 percent fit. Neymar has to keep working, playing, showcasing his qualities and maintaining good physical condition,” Ancelotti stated.
Endrick Earns Call-Up, Demonstrating Brazil’s Future
In place of Neymar, Ancelotti has called up 19-year-old forward Endrick, currently on loan at Olympique Lyonnais from Real Madrid. This marks a return to the national team for Endrick, who last featured for Brazil approximately one year ago. Endrick has quickly made an impact in France, scoring five goals and providing three assists in just 10 appearances for Lyon, signaling a bright future for the young Brazilian.
Ancelotti had previously planned to scout Neymar in person, attending a recent match between Santos and Mirassol. However, Neymar was held out of that game due to “load management,” a decision Ancelotti declined to comment on directly. “I had planned to go to Mirassol to watch the game between Mirassol and Santos,” Ancelotti said. “Neymar didn’t play, and I have nothing to say about that.”
Recurring Physical Issues Plague Neymar’s Return
Neymar did feature in a recent derby match against Corinthians, providing an assist in a 1-1 draw. However, Ancelotti was simultaneously attending another match in Rio de Janeiro, between Botafogo and Flamengo.
Despite showing flashes of his brilliance with two goals in a 2-1 victory over Vasco da Gama in February, Neymar continues to experience discomfort in his thigh. This stems from the lingering effects of the ACL tear suffered in October 2023 and the subsequent surgical intervention in December. The recurring issues cast a shadow over his ability to regain full match fitness before the World Cup.
The situation has sparked considerable debate within Brazilian media, with many outlets focusing on Neymar’s absence from the squad. The pressure is mounting on the veteran forward to prove his fitness and earn a place in Ancelotti’s final World Cup roster.
Brazil will face France on March 26th and Croatia on April 1st, both matches taking place in the United States. These friendlies represent a crucial opportunity for players to showcase their abilities and stake their claim for a spot in the final World Cup squad. For Neymar, the clock is ticking.
Next Up: Brazil’s friendlies against France (March 26) and Croatia (April 1) will be key indicators of Ancelotti’s final squad selection. Fans can follow updates on the Brazilian Football Confederation’s official website ([https://www.cbf.com.br/en](https://www.cbf.com.br/en)).
What do you feel? Can Neymar regain his form in time for the World Cup? Share your thoughts in the comments below!