MELBOURNE, Australia – Former Australian tennis player Marinko Matosevic has been handed a four-year ban from the sport after being found to have committed five anti-doping rule violations between 2018 and 2020, the International Tennis Integrity Agency (ITIA) announced Tuesday. The 40-year-ancient, who reached a career-high ranking of No. 39 in the world, recently worked as a coach.
The ban comes after Matosevic initially denied all wrongdoing but later admitted to blood doping shortly before a scheduled hearing. The ITIA found that Matosevic not only engaged in prohibited methods himself but also facilitated doping for another player and provided advice to others on evading positive drug tests. He was also found to have possessed clenbuterol, a prohibited anabolic agent.
“Matosevic committed multiple serious breaches of the Tennis Anti-Doping Programme,” the ITIA said in a statement. “His actions went far beyond passive association and constitute intentional participation.”
The violations include the use of a prohibited method through blood doping whereas an active player, facilitating another player’s blood doping, providing advice to players on how to avoid positive tests, and the use and possession of clenbuterol. Matosevic’s actions represent a significant breach of the integrity of the sport, according to the ITIA.
The case has drawn attention due to Matosevic’s prior criticism of the ITIA, labeling the agency “corrupt” in February. He alleged issues with the investigative process, claiming he “stupidly” received a blood transfusion in Mexico in 2018, a decision he later said contributed to his retirement from professional tennis. The Recent York Times reported on these allegations last week.
Matosevic enjoyed a successful run in the early 2010s, becoming Australia’s No. 1 ranked player in 2012, a period preceding the rise of players like Nick Kyrgios and following Lleyton Hewitt’s dominance. He reached the second round of all four Grand Slam tournaments – the Australian Open, French Open, Wimbledon, and the US Open – during his career. TennisUpToDate details his career trajectory.
The ITIA investigation began in 2024, with formal charges filed in May 2025. Despite initial denials, Matosevic admitted to blood doping via social media shortly before the tribunal hearing. The independent tribunal upheld the charges in March 2026, dismissing only one of the five initial allegations.
As a result of the ban, Matosevic is disqualified from any tennis events sanctioned by the ITIA, including ATP and WTA tournaments. This extends to a prohibition on coaching, effectively ending his recent career as a tennis coach. He had been working with Australian players such as Chris O’Connell and Jordan Thompson, neither of whom are implicated in the investigation, according to reports. The Guardian confirmed that O’Connell and Thompson are not under investigation.
The tribunal has also ordered Matosevic to forfeit any prize money and ranking points earned during the period of his violations, specifically from events in 2018. He will be required to repay these earnings, and the ban will remain in effect until March 15, 2030, pending full financial restitution.
This case underscores the ITIA’s commitment to maintaining the integrity of professional tennis and serves as a stark reminder of the consequences of violating anti-doping regulations. The ITIA, established to oversee the Tennis Anti-Doping Programme (TADP), continues to investigate potential breaches and enforce sanctions against those found to be in violation.
The fallout from this ban is likely to spark further discussion about doping in tennis and the effectiveness of current anti-doping measures. The sport has faced scrutiny in the past regarding potential doping issues, and this case will undoubtedly add to those concerns.
What’s Next: Matosevic has the right to appeal the ITIA’s decision. The ITIA will continue to monitor compliance with the ban and ensure the forfeiture of prize money. The focus now shifts to the ongoing efforts to safeguard the integrity of the sport and prevent future doping violations.
What are your thoughts on this case? Share your opinions in the comments below.