Barcelona striker Robert Lewandowski remains uncertain about his future with the club, as his contract nears its expiration this summer. The Polish captain, fresh off a Champions League brace against Newcastle United, acknowledged he is taking his time to evaluate his options, while also navigating a minor injury and a shift in penalty-taking duties within the team.
The 37-year-old’s performance in Barcelona’s dominant 7-2 aggregate victory over Newcastle – a result that sent the Catalan club into the Champions League quarter-finals – underscored his continued ability to perform at the highest level. He scored twice in the second leg, a 7-2 win at Spotify Camp Nou on March 18, 2026, breaking records in the process. According to reports, Lewandowski became the oldest player to score a brace in a Champions League game, at 37 years and 209 days old, surpassing Filippo Inzaghi. He also became the oldest player to score in a Champions League knockout game. He is now the first footballer in history to score against 41 different Champions League teams, overtaking Lionel Messi who had previously scored against 40.
Despite the recent Champions League success, Lewandowski’s club form has been somewhat inconsistent, leading to speculation about his long-term prospects at Barcelona. He arrived at the Polish national team’s training camp on Monday, where he addressed the media regarding his future. “Regarding my future at Barcelona, what I said hasn’t changed. I am taking my time to decide what is best for me. I haven’t made any decision,” Lewandowski stated, as reported by multiple sources.
Adding to the complexities, Lewandowski has been playing with a protective mask following a facial injury sustained against Villarreal. He admitted the mask is uncomfortable, particularly impacting his vision. “Playing with a mask, especially on the head, is not comfortable, I won’t deny it. As a striker, I use my eye a lot, and right next to it is the mask. In recent days, I’ve shortened it even more, to where the broken bone is, and lengthened the rest, which has helped a bit. But I still have to play with this mask for two more weeks. After lengthening it, it’s better. As for headers, I’m not afraid anymore,” he explained.
Another notable development is a change in Barcelona’s penalty-taking order. Previously the designated penalty taker since joining the club, Lewandowski has seen Raphinha and Lamine Yamal step up to take spot-kicks in recent matches. Raphinha converted a penalty against Newcastle with Lewandowski still on the pitch. Addressing this shift, Lewandowski acknowledged the importance of confidence. “It’s obvious that sometimes, when you lack confidence, there’s a moment of hesitation and decisions are made on the field. We find players who take penalties well. I am prepared, but when you feel you lack minutes, confidence, sensations, rhythm, it’s better to choose the best for the team. And whoever feels better is the one who takes the penalties.”
Lewandowski’s situation is further complicated by his role as captain of the Polish national team and their pursuit of qualification for the 2026 FIFA World Cup. Poland faces Albania in a semi-final play-off match on March 26th at the National Stadium in Warsaw. A victory would see them face either Ukraine or Sweden in a final play-off on March 31st, with a coveted spot in the tournament in the United States, Canada, and Mexico at stake. His commitment to the national team remains unwavering, despite the uncertainty surrounding his club future.
“I’m not going to make any decision, I’m not prepared to make any. I don’t know yet, it probably won’t happen soon. When I know it’s the right time, I’ll probably tell you. Right now, I don’t have that feeling,” Lewandowski said, emphasizing his deliberate approach to a pivotal career decision.
The Polish national team’s play-off matches represent a crucial period for Lewandowski and his country. The stakes are high as they aim to secure a place in the expanded 2026 World Cup, which will feature 48 teams for the first time. The pressure to perform and lead his nation to success adds another layer to the already complex situation surrounding his club future.
Barcelona, meanwhile, are reportedly already analyzing the transfer market for potential replacements, acknowledging the possibility of Lewandowski’s departure. The club will need to carefully consider their options to ensure a smooth transition and maintain their attacking prowess. The situation is a reminder of the constant evolution within professional football and the need for clubs to plan for all eventualities.
Lewandowski’s next confirmed action will be with the Polish national team as they prepare to face Albania in Warsaw on March 26th. Fans can follow updates on the Polish Football Association’s official website and social media channels for the latest news and information.
What are your thoughts on Lewandowski’s future? Share your predictions and opinions in the comments below!