Anas Bakhat: Eintracht Braunschweig Sign Until Season’s End

The relationship between Anas Bakhat and Heiner Backhaus is definitely a special one. The coach hardly used his playmaker at Tivoli last season, partly because he was suffering from the effects of a knee injury. Bakhat received an offer at Tivoli last summer, which he immediately turned down. The 25-year-old even wanted to end his career, he told his agent, and then actually took a break for weeks.

On the other hand, Heiner Backhaus has never forgotten that the technician played a significant role in the promotion to the 3rd league. The ailing Bakhat came on as a substitute at half-time against Fortuna Cologne, helped Anton Heinz make it 1-0, only to limp off the pitch again.

Bakhat hasn’t played since May last year. When his passion for football returned, he prepared for his comeback with a fitness coach. He trained for weeks at Siegburger SV, and later at Sportfreunde Siegen. Their coach Boris Schommers hoped in vain to win Bakhat for the second half of the regional league.

Also read:

Instead, the midfielder spent a week auditioning for his former coach. “I have the fantasy that Anas would have the level for here when he is fit – maybe even be able to raise the level,” hoped Heiner Backhaus before the restart. Last season in Aachen, Bakhat played a lot of games for Backhaus, even though the doctors’ advice was different, Backhaus recalled. Backhaus noted that he had tormented himself for the coach and he hadn’t forgotten that. In the meantime, the former became the current coach again. The player who wants to play “at least” in the 2nd league signs a contract until the end of the season, which could be extended if he plays a corresponding number of games. Backhaus is looking forward to him: “I worked with him for two years and know what potential he has. It’s similar to Patrick Nkoa. Our way of playing football needs certain elements.” From Aachen’s perspective, the Nkoa case had developed differently. The central defender had refused to extend his contract at Tivoli for months. When he finally decided to do it in August, he went off track on the way to sign in Aachen and ended up at Eintracht Braunschweig, where he is now working with some ex-Aachen players again. (pa)

Also read:

By signing Bakhat, the Lower Saxony team is also reacting to the departure of Christian Conteh, who is joining Bundesliga club 1. FC Heidenheim. With eight scorer points, he was one of the top performers for the yellow-blue team. A transfer fee of 1.5 million euros is rumored.

In Braunschweig, Bakhat will be given the number 18. “Anas has presented himself positively in training in the last few days. With his skills in the final third and his flexibility, he gives us another component for our offensive game. He has also integrated himself directly into our team in a short space of time, which is an important point for us in addition to his sporting skills,” says sports director Benjamin Kessel.

Anas Bakhat added: “The last few months haven’t been easy for me, so it means even more to me to be able to play football again and be part of this team. The boys welcomed me really well, and I’m very grateful for that. My focus is now fully on Friday and my first home game as a Lion – I hope that we can celebrate a strong and successful start to the second half of the season together.”

Marcus Cole

Marcus Cole is a senior football analyst at Archysport with over a decade of experience covering the NFL, college football, and international football leagues. A former NCAA Division I player turned journalist, Marcus brings an insider's understanding of the game to every breakdown. His work focuses on tactical analysis, draft evaluations, and in-depth game previews. When he's not breaking down film, Marcus covers the intersection of football culture and the communities it shapes across America.

Leave a Comment