Second division team 1. FC Magdeburg has released coach Markus Fiedler from his duties. A clear defeat in the test against Braunschweig was too much. A few days ago, those responsible had taken a different tone.
The vote of confidence took place on Tuesday, but after the test match debacle two days later, Markus Fiedler was eliminated as coach of the second division soccer team 1. FC Magdeburg. The U-23 coaching duo Petrik Sander and Pascal Ibold, together with assistant coach Silvio Bankert and the other coaching staff, will take over on an interim basis and prepare the team for the second division game on Sunday (1.30 p.m./Sky) at SV Darmstadt 98.
“As announced, we carried out a detailed analysis last week and came to the conclusion that the team no longer had any trust in Markus and no hope of a turnaround,” said FCM sports director Otmar Schork. After the disastrous 0:6 in the test match against league rivals Eintracht Braunschweig and the previous 0:4 against SV Elversberg, there was helplessness, explained the 68-year-old.
Despite six defeats in a row, Schork still supported the coach on Tuesday, whom he had brought in as successor to Christian Titz in the summer. At the same time, the managing director emphasized that there was “no deadline”. This happened faster than expected. The club is currently in discussions to present a successor, it said.
Magdeburg with the weakest defense in the 2nd league
The FCM, which fought for promotion to the first division with Christian Titz in the previous season, has the weakest defense in the league with 19 goals conceded. On offense, the bottom of the table failed to score for the fifth time.
For Schork, who had postponed his vacation planned for a few days during the international break, it was important to “sleep on it for two nights” after the home defeat. He wanted to analyze the situation together with Fiedler during the international break, but had definitely thought about whether a change of coach would make sense. “That’s my job,” he emphasized on Tuesday.
The team is still waiting for its first home win. Schork sees the reasons in the past transfer window. It was also no longer possible to react to the late sale of striker Martijn Kaars to FC St. Pauli.
lwö/dpa