Atlético Madrid forward Julián Álvarez has been named in the squad to face Villarreal this Sunday. Manager Diego Simeone declared that the player is available and will be protected by the club, bringing a swift end to speculation surrounding the weekend fixture.
Simeone Confirms Álvarez Selection for Villarreal Climax
The announcement arrives amid a turbulent summer transfer saga. Strong interest from Barcelona and friction with supporters at the Metropolitano have dogged the forward for weeks.
Ready for Action at the Metropolitano
Simeone addressed reporters on Saturday ahead of the La Liga fixture, confirming that the Argentine international is ready to feature.

«Tomorrow he enters the squad», Simeone said. He noted that the forward, known as «La Araña», is improving his match fitness alongside his teammates.
Sunday’s fixture carries early-season weight. It marks a meeting between last campaign’s third- and fourth-place finishers.
Club Rejects Nine-Figure Bids
The decision to include Álvarez marks a potential turning point in a summer filled with uncertainty. In June, during the World Cup, the forward publicly expressed a desire to leave the Madrid club.
However, club hierarchy has firmly shut down any departure.
Chief Executive Officer Miguel Ángel Gil Marín stated on Friday that the club rejected a 100 million euro offer. He added that Atlético would refuse bids of 150 or 200 million euros, maintaining that they have no intention of selling the player.
Shielding the Forward from Friction
Gil Marín also sought to defuse tensions surrounding the forward. He suggested that Álvarez had been poorly advised since the end of the previous season.

Despite the friction, club leadership insists on his importance to the sporting project. Simeone echoed that stance, emphasizing the team’s commitment to supporting the player.
«Julián is very important, we need him and we are going to take care of him from a sporting perspective. While he is at Atlético and is a player here, I am going to take care of him», Simeone said.
Drawing a Line on Supporter Hostility
The manager also clarified remarks he made following the team’s debut win against Málaga. He had previously responded to questions about hostile chants from a section of the Metropolitano crowd by stating his respect for the supporters.
On Saturday, Simeone expanded on those comments to draw a clear line. While maintaining absolute respect for the fanbase, he stated that he does not condone insults or grievances directed at the player.
Sunday’s match sets up a delicate re-encounter between Álvarez and supporters unsettled by his summer transfer intentions.
Related reading
- Real Madrid Turns to José Mourinho to Dethrone Hansi Flick’s Barcelona in La Liga
- Bayern Munich’s Klara Bühl Named World’s Most Valuable Female Footballer Ahead of Aitana Bonmatí
- Real Madrid Abandoned Rodri Pursuit Due to Player Hesitation, Says Mourinho (bytewire.news)
- Atletico Madrid willing to sell Julian Alvarez to Arsenal (newsarchyuk.com)