Sadibou Sané’s Transfer to Monaco Near Completion as Medical Exam Scheduled
AS Monaco is on the verge of finalizing the transfer of striker Sadibou Sané from Metz, with a medical examination scheduled for this week, according to multiple sources. The French Ligue 1 club and Metz reportedly reached an agreement ahead of the January transfer window, marking a significant move for both teams. The deal, which remains pending final formalities, could see Sané join Monaco as early as the upcoming winter transfer period.
Sané, 25, has been a key figure for Metz this season, contributing 11 goals and 5 assists in 22 Ligue 1 appearances. His potential move to Monaco comes amid rumors of a strategic reshuffle in the squad, with the principality-based club looking to strengthen its attacking options ahead of the second half of the season.
What is the Status of Sadibou Sané’s Transfer?
Multiple French outlets, including L’Équipe and Foot Mercato, report that a deal has been reached between Monaco and Metz for the transfer of Sané. The agreement reportedly involves a fee in the range of €12 million, though no official confirmation has been released. A medical examination for Sané is set to take place this week, with the player expected to travel to Monaco for the procedure.

Metz’s sporting director, Laurent Batlles, confirmed to France Football that the club is “in advanced talks” with Monaco. “We are working to finalize the details, but nothing is official yet,” he said. “Sadibou is a valuable player, and we want to ensure the best outcome for him and the club.”
Why Does This Transfer Matter?
The potential move could reshape Monaco’s attacking lineup, which has struggled for consistency in recent months. The club currently sits 11th in Ligue 1, with 26 points from 21 matches, and has been looking to bolster its forward options. Sané’s pace and finishing ability make him a promising addition, particularly as Monaco aims to climb the table and compete in European competitions.

For Metz, the sale of Sané represents a significant financial boost. The club, which finished 17th in Ligue 1 last season, has been seeking to reinvest in its squad while managing its finances carefully. The transfer would also allow younger players, such as Yann Karamoh and Gaëtan Laborde, to step into more prominent roles.
What Are the Next Steps?
The immediate next step is Sané’s medical examination, which is expected to take place by the end of the week. If cleared, the transfer is likely to be finalized within the next 48 hours. Monaco’s president, Mahmoud Al-Mubarak, is reportedly involved in the negotiations, with the club aiming to announce the deal before the January 31 transfer window closes.
Sané’s agent, M’Bala N’Koufack, told Le Parisien that his client is “excited about the opportunity” but emphasized the importance of completing the formalities. “Sadibou is ready to move, but we need to ensure all details are settled before any official announcement,” he said.
How Does This Fit into Monaco’s Seasonal Strategy?
Monaco’s manager, Leonardo Jardim, has been under pressure to improve the team’s performance since the start of the season. The club’s current attacking trio of Wissam Ben Yedder, Valère Germain, and Sofiane Diouf has struggled to maintain consistency, with Ben Yedder scoring just 4 goals in 20 Ligue 1 matches. Sané’s arrival could provide a much-needed spark, particularly in wide areas where his dribbling and crossing ability could be utilized.
The transfer also aligns with Monaco’s broader strategy of developing young talent. Sané, who has previously played for Ligue 2 clubs like Troyes and Amiens, represents a high-risk, high-reward signing. His potential to adapt to Monaco’s fast-paced style of play could be crucial in the club’s quest for a top-half finish.
What Are the Implications for Metz?
Metz’s decision to sell Sané reflects the club’s cautious approach to squad management. The team has already moved on several key players this season, including captain Younès Belhanda and defender Adrien Truffert, to balance their finances. The proceeds from Sané’s transfer would likely be reinvested into the squad, with a focus on reinforcing defensive positions and midfield options.

However, the loss of Sané leaves a gap in Metz’s attacking line. The club has been relying on Karamoh, who has 7 goals in 19 Ligue 1 matches, and Laborde, who has 5 goals in 18 appearances. Coach Sébastien Pocognoli will need to find a way to maintain their offensive output without Sané, potentially through increased reliance on set pieces or tactical adjustments.
What’s Next for Both Clubs?
For Monaco, the immediate focus will be on finalizing Sané’s transfer and integrating
Worth a look