Paraguay national team coach Alejandro Sabella has publicly criticized new mandatory cooling breaks in soccer matches, calling the policy a disruption to game flow and player rhythm. The comments come as CONMEBOL, South America’s governing body, advances rules requiring 30-second hydration pauses every 15 minutes in high-temperature conditions.
What Are the Mandatory Cooling Breaks?
The cooling break policy, first proposed by CONMEBOL in 2023, mandates 30-second hydration stops during matches when temperatures exceed 30°C (86°F). The rule aims to prevent heat-related illnesses, a growing concern in South American leagues where summer matches often occur in extreme heat. According to a CONMEBOL statement released on July 12, the measure applies to all official competitions, including the Copa Libertadores and Copa Sudamericana.
“The priority is player safety,” said CONMEBOL president Alejandro Domínguez in a press conference. “But we also recognize the need for balance between health protocols and the integrity of the game.”
Why Is Sabella Opposing the Rule?
Sabella, who guided Paraguay to the 2010 FIFA World Cup quarterfinals, argued the breaks undermine the sport’s “natural rhythm.” In a July 14 interview with local outlet La Nación, he stated, “Every time the game stops, continuity is broken. We’re not a sprint race; we’re a game of transitions. These pauses disrupt the flow and give advantages to teams that can adapt faster.”

The coach’s remarks align with broader concerns from European and South American managers. Bundesliga coach Julian Nagelsmann previously criticized similar rules in Germany, calling them “a distraction from the tactical battle.” However, Sabella’s stance has drawn sharp rebukes from medical experts. Dr. Mariana López, a sports physiologist at the University of Chile, countered, “Hydration breaks are not about slowing the game—they’re about preventing heatstroke. The risk of a player collapsing is far greater than any tactical inconvenience.”
How Does This Compare to Other Leagues?
The CONMEBOL policy mirrors measures adopted by the English Premier League (EPL) and the U.S. Major League Soccer (MLS). The EPL introduced 15-second hydration breaks in 2022 for matches above 28°C, while MLS requires 10-second pauses at 32°C. However, neither league mandates stops every 15 minutes, a key distinction in Sabella’s criticism.
“The difference is in the frequency,” said EPL referee Mike Dean in a 2023 interview. “We focus on extreme conditions, not a routine schedule. Sabella’s concern is valid if the rule is applied universally, but it’s designed to be a last resort.”
What Are the Implications for Paraguay’s Squad?
Paraguay’s national team faces a critical 2026 FIFA World Cup qualifier against Peru on July 29 in Lima, where temperatures often exceed 30°C. The cooling breaks could impact the team’s high-pressing style, which relies on sustained intensity. Goalkeeper Antony Silva, who played under Sabella in 2010, said, “If the rule is enforced, we’ll have to adjust our tempo. But if it’s only in extreme heat, it’s manageable.”

The policy also raises questions about enforcement. CONMEBOL’s technical director, Carlos Torres, confirmed that referees will use handheld thermometers to monitor conditions. However, the system has faced technical challenges in past trials, with some matches experiencing delays due to equipment malfunctions.
What’s Next for the Rule?
CONMEBOL plans to review the policy after the 2024 Copa América, which runs from June 20 to July 14. The organization has invited feedback from coaches, players, and medical staff. Sabella’s comments are expected to feature in the review process, though his influence remains limited. “We’re open to dialogue,” said Domínguez, “but player safety will always take precedence.”
The next confirmed checkpoint is CONMEBOL’s technical meeting on August 5, where the cooling breaks will be revisited. For now, Paraguay’s squad continues training in Asunción, where temperatures regularly surpass 35°C.
Call to Action: Share your thoughts on the cooling breaks policy in the comments section below. How do you think leagues should balance player safety with game continuity?
Keep reading