Draper Withdraws from Queen’s Due to Injury, Wimbledon in Question

Top Tennis Player Withdraws from Queen’s Tournament Amid Injury Concerns

Top-ranked tennis player Jack Draper has withdrawn from the Queen’s Club Championships due to a recurring knee injury, raising concerns about his participation in the upcoming Wimbledon Championships, according to official ATP Tour statements. The 22-year-old British player, who recently defeated Carlos Alcaraz and Jannik Sinner in consecutive matches, cited “persistent pain” in his right knee as the reason for his absence.

Draper’s withdrawal was confirmed by the ATP Tour on May 22, 2024, with a statement noting that the athlete will undergo further medical evaluation before the Wimbledon tournament, which begins on June 24. The decision comes after Draper missed the Madrid Open in April due to the same injury, marking the third time this year he has been sidelined by the issue.

What Happened at Queen’s?

The Queen’s Club Championships, a key preparatory event for Wimbledon, will now feature a reshuffled draw after Draper’s exit. The British No. 1 was initially seeded third in the singles bracket, but his withdrawal has created a vacancy that could be filled by a lower-ranked player or a wildcard entry. The ATP Tour has not yet announced a replacement for Draper’s spot.

Draper’s injury timeline includes a partial tear of the medial collateral ligament (MCL) sustained during a match in February, which required a six-week rehabilitation period. His team confirmed in a press release that the current issue is a “recurrence of the same condition,” though no specific diagnosis has been provided. “Jack is working closely with his medical team to ensure a full recovery before Wimbledon,” the statement said.

Why Is This Injury Significant?

Draper’s absence from Queen’s is a major blow to his Wimbledon preparations, as the grass-court tournament is his most successful surface. The 22-year-old reached the quarterfinals at Wimbledon in 2023, his best Grand Slam performance to date. His injury also impacts the British tennis landscape, as he is one of the sport’s most promising young stars.

According to a report by ATP Tour, Draper has a 68% win rate on grass courts since 2022, compared to 54% on hard courts. His absence could open the door for other players, including Australian Alex de Minaur and Frenchman Ugo Humbert, who are currently in the Queen’s draw.

What Does This Mean for Wimbledon?

The potential impact on Wimbledon remains uncertain. Draper’s medical team has not provided a timeline for his return, but a source close to the player told BBC Sport that he “has a 50-50 chance” of being fit for the tournament. The All England Club requires players to be fully recovered and match-ready 10 days before the event, according to its medical guidelines.

Jack Draper’s Breakout: Shocks Queen’s Club, Gets Wimbledon Boost!

Draper’s injury also raises questions about his long-term prospects. In 2023, he underwent arthroscopic surgery to address a chronic knee issue, and his coach, Nick Bolletieri, has previously warned about the risks of overplaying with existing injuries. “Jack’s body is his greatest asset, and we need to prioritize his health over short-term gains,” Bolletieri said in a Tennis Magazine interview last year.

How Has the Tennis Community Reacted?

The tennis community has expressed mixed reactions to Draper’s withdrawal. British tennis legend Andy Murray tweeted, “It’s frustrating to see Jack sidelined again, but it’s the right decision. His health comes first.” Meanwhile, fellow ATP player Daniil Medvedev commented on social media: “Injuries are part of the game, but Jack has the talent to overcome this. He’ll be back stronger.”

The British Tennis Association (TBA) released a statement supporting Draper’s decision, emphasizing the importance of player welfare. “Jack’s well-being is our top priority, and we’re confident he’ll return to the court in optimal condition,” said TBA director Emma Larkins.

What’s Next for Draper?

Draper is scheduled to attend a medical conference in London on May 25 to discuss his recovery plan. The ATP Tour has not yet set a date for his potential return to competition, but a spokesperson indicated that the player could rejoin the circuit as early as the Hamburg Open in late May. If he is unable to play before Wimbledon, he may be forced to withdraw from the tournament entirely.

For now, Draper’s focus remains on rehabilitation. His team has announced that he will begin a strength-training program at the National Sports Centre in Loughborough, England, starting May 27. The program will include physiotherapy sessions and low-impact exercises to rebuild his knee strength without aggravating the injury.

The next confirmed checkpoint for Draper is a medical update from his team, expected by June

Editor-in-Chief

Editor-in-Chief

Daniel Richardson is the Editor-in-Chief of Archysport, where he leads the editorial team and oversees all published content across nine sport verticals. With over 15 years in sports journalism, Daniel has reported from the FIFA World Cup, the Olympic Games, NFL Super Bowls, NBA Finals, and Grand Slam tennis tournaments. He previously served as Senior Sports Editor at Reuters and holds a Master's degree in Journalism from Columbia University. Recognized by the Sports Journalists' Association for excellence in reporting, Daniel is a member of the International Sports Press Association (AIPS). His editorial philosophy centers on accuracy, depth, and fair coverage — ensuring every story published on Archysport meets the highest standards of sports journalism.

Football Basketball NFL Tennis Baseball Golf Badminton Judo Sport News

Leave a Comment