Iran FA Accuses US of Revoking World Cup Tickets for Iranian Fans

Iran’s Football Federation (FFI) accused the United States of revoking its allocated World Cup tickets, threatening fans’ access to the 2026 tournament, according to a Tuesday statement. The FFI claimed the U.S. action violates FIFA regulations, which grant 8% of stadium capacity to participating nations for fan sales. The dispute emerged as Iran prepares to play three group-stage matches in the U.S., with the first game against New Zealand set for June 15 in Los Angeles.

What is the FFI’s Claim?

The FFI asserted that the U.S. government “unexpectedly revoked” its 8% ticket allocation, preventing Iranian fans from purchasing tickets through official channels. “This measure contradicts the spirit of international competition and the principle of equality among participating nations,” the federation stated in a press release. The 8% quota, a standard FIFA rule, allows nations to sell tickets directly to supporters via their federations.

From Instagram — related to Iranian Fans, Los Angeles

The FFI said it had already begun selling tickets for Iran’s matches against New Zealand, Belgium, and Egypt through its official website. “However, the allocation designated for the Iranian Football Federation has been revoked, making it impossible to provide even a single ticket to national team fans,” the statement added. The federation called on FIFA to resolve the issue before the tournament starts.

What Are the Implications for the Tournament?

Iran’s squad arrived in Tijuana, Mexico, on Sunday to establish a base for the World Cup, citing “logistical and diplomatic obstacles” linked to U.S. visa delays. The federation reported that 15 players and staff remain without entry permits, though no official U.S. response has been released. The team is scheduled to play three group-stage matches in the U.S.: June 15 (Los Angeles), June 21 (Los Angeles), and June 27 (Seattle).

What Are the Implications for the Tournament?

FIFA’s 8% ticket allocation policy has been used in past tournaments, including the 2022 World Cup in Qatar. In 2022, the U.S. Soccer Federation sold 8% of each match’s capacity for American fans, according to a FIFA report. However, the 2026 tournament’s ticketing structure is still being finalized, with specific details expected in the coming weeks.

How Has the U.S. Responded?

The U.S. Department of State did not immediately respond to requests for comment. However, the FFI’s allegations align with broader tensions between Iran and the U.S., including travel restrictions and diplomatic disputes. In 2023, the U.S. imposed sanctions on Iranian officials over human rights concerns, though no direct link to the World Cup issue has been established.

Iran's football federation says its World Cup tickets revoked; U.S. denies entry to Somali referee

A FIFA spokesperson stated, “We are aware of the situation and are monitoring developments closely. Our priority is to ensure all teams and fans can participate in the tournament in a fair and secure environment.” The organization has not yet issued a formal statement addressing the FFI’s claims.

What Are the Broader Contextual Factors?

The dispute comes amid heightened scrutiny of the 2026 World Cup, which will be hosted by the U.S., Canada, and Mexico. The tournament has faced criticism over ticket pricing, fan zones, and security measures. In January 2024, FIFA announced a “fan-first” ticketing strategy, including a 50% discount for local fans, but specifics for international teams remain unclear.

What Are the Broader Contextual Factors?

Iran’s participation in the 2026 World Cup is its first since 2018, following a 2022 qualification campaign that saw the team face travel restrictions due to U.S. sanctions. The FFI’s current claims could complicate preparations, as fan attendance is a key revenue stream for national teams.

What Happens Next?

The FFI has requested an emergency meeting with FIFA’s executive committee, according to a source familiar with the discussions. The organization’s next scheduled board meeting is set for mid-May, though a special session could be called if the issue remains unresolved. Iran’s first match is less than a week away, with the FFI emphasizing the urgency of the matter.

For now, the FFI’s statement remains the primary source of information, as no independent verification of the U.S. policy change has been publicly released. The situation could set a precedent for how FIFA handles diplomatic disputes in future tournaments.

Next confirmed checkpoint: Iran’s first match against New Zealand in Los Angeles on June 15 at 3:00 p.m. PT (6:00 p.m. ET). Fans are advised to monitor FIFA’s official website and the FFI’s social media channels for updates.

Have a question or insight about this story? Share your thoughts below or on Twitter.

Editor-in-Chief

Editor-in-Chief

Daniel Richardson is the Editor-in-Chief of Archysport, where he leads the editorial team and oversees all published content across nine sport verticals. With over 15 years in sports journalism, Daniel has reported from the FIFA World Cup, the Olympic Games, NFL Super Bowls, NBA Finals, and Grand Slam tennis tournaments. He previously served as Senior Sports Editor at Reuters and holds a Master's degree in Journalism from Columbia University. Recognized by the Sports Journalists' Association for excellence in reporting, Daniel is a member of the International Sports Press Association (AIPS). His editorial philosophy centers on accuracy, depth, and fair coverage — ensuring every story published on Archysport meets the highest standards of sports journalism.

Football Basketball NFL Tennis Baseball Golf Badminton Judo Sport News

Leave a Comment