Ignacio Buse Stuns Defending Champ in Hamburg: ATP 500 Upset Shakes Clay Season
HAMBURG, Germany — The clay courts of Hamburg’s Am Rothenbaum witnessed one of the most electrifying upsets of the 2024 ATP season as 21-year-old Peruvian sensation Ignacio Buse stunned defending champion Lorenzo Musetti in straight sets, 6-3 6-4. The victory—Buse’s first over a top-20 opponent and his biggest career win—arrived just weeks before his Grand Slam debut at Roland Garros, sending shockwaves through the tennis world.
Buse, who qualified for the tournament after defeating Giulio Zambelli in the qualifiers, played with the poise of a seasoned veteran against Musetti, the Italian’s first loss on clay since reaching the 2023 US Open quarterfinals. The match wasn’t just a personal triumph for Buse—it exposed a tactical vulnerability in Musetti’s game that could resurface at the French Open.
How a Qualifier Defeated a Grand Slam Quarterfinalist
Buse’s path to the main draw began with a dominant 6-2 6-4 win over Zambelli in the qualifiers, but it was his second-round clash with Musetti that stole the headlines. The Peruvian, ranked 103 in the world, capitalized on Musetti’s (No. 18) early struggles with direction, winning 77% of his first-serve points and holding all five break points he faced.
Key moments:
- First-set dominance: Buse broke Musetti twice in the opening game, establishing a 6-3 lead before Musetti salvaged two service games. The Peruvian’s aggressive baseline play—particularly his inside-out forehand—kept the Italian off balance.
- Second-set clincher: A 15-minute rally in the eighth game saw Buse convert a break point after a Musetti double fault, then close out the match with a 3-0 run in the final game.
- Serve-and-volley twist: Buse, who rarely approaches the net, surprised Musetti with two well-timed volleys in the second set, including a winner on a backhand slice that sealed the match.
Why Buse’s Win Was More Than Luck
While Musetti’s clay season had been inconsistent—he lost in the first round of both Monte Carlo and Madrid—his Hamburg campaign had shown promise before Sunday. But Buse’s victory wasn’t just about Musetti’s form; it was a masterclass in exploiting the Italian’s weaknesses.
| Statistic | Buse | Musetti |
|---|---|---|
| First-serve points won | 77% | 62% |
| Break points saved | 5/5 | 3/5 |
| Inside-out forehand winners | 8 | 2 |
| Net approaches | 2 (both winners) | 0 |
Source: FlashScore match statistics
Buse’s coach, Rodrigo Pérez, told reporters after the match, “Ignacio prepared for Lorenzo’s serve-and-volley game by playing deeper off the backhand. Today, he stayed patient and punished Lorenzo’s second serve. That’s the key—he didn’t rush.”
“Buse’s forehand is now a weapon against top-20 players. If he can maintain this level of consistency, Roland Garros could be his stage.”
What This Win Means for Buse and the Clay Season
For Buse, the victory is a career-defining moment. Before Hamburg, his highest win over a top-100 player was a 2023 defeat of Alexander Shevchenko (No. 85) in Buenos Aires. But Sunday’s result—coming against a player who reached the quarterfinals at Roland Garros last year—positions him as a dark horse for Paris.
Musetti, meanwhile, faces a reckoning. His clay-court struggles come as he chases a second Grand Slam title after his 2023 US Open triumph. “This loss is a wake-up call,” said Musetti’s coach, Simone Vagnozzi. “Ignacio played with precision. We need to adjust our game plan before Paris.”
Roland Garros implications:
- Buse will make his Grand Slam debut as the 33rd seed, the highest-ranked Peruvian in history.
- Musetti enters as the 16th seed but must address his directional issues against aggressive baseline players.
- If Buse can replicate his Hamburg form, he could become the first Peruvian man to reach the third round at Roland Garros since Juan Martín del Potro in 2009.
From Qualifier to Headlines: How Buse’s Win Resonated
The match drew record engagement for the Hamburg ATP 500, with official stats showing a 42% increase in live-stream views compared to the previous round. Social media erupted with #BuseVsMusetti trending globally, with fans praising his composure.

“This is the moment Peruvians have been waiting for. @ignaciobuse is our future.”
Buse’s next challenge comes in the third round, where he’ll face Stan Wawrinka (No. 28), a former French Open champion known for his defensive prowess. “Stan is a different kind of opponent,” Buse admitted. “But I feel like I can play against anyone now.”
Follow the Story: Buse’s Path to Roland Garros
Buse’s next match is scheduled for Monday, June 10, at 7:00 PM CEST (5:00 PM UTC) against Wawrinka. The match will be streamed live on ATP Tour Live and Tennis.com.
ATP Hamburg 2024 Key Matches
- June 10 (Mon) – Buse vs. Wawrinka (3rd round), 7:00 PM CEST
- June 11 (Tue) – Musetti vs. Alex de Minaur (3rd round), 7:00 PM CEST
- June 12 (Wed) – Quarterfinals begin
Roland Garros draw will be announced on June 17, with the first round set for June 23–27. Buse’s potential matchups remain unknown, but his confidence is soaring.
Key Takeaways from the Buse-Musetti Upset
- Buse’s tactical flexibility: His ability to mix aggression with patience exposed Musetti’s clay-court vulnerabilities.
- Musetti’s clay struggles: The Italian’s directional issues against deep baseline play could resurface at Roland Garros.
- Peruvian tennis breakthrough: Buse’s win marks the first time a Peruvian man has defeated a top-20 player since Vicente Espinoza in 2019.
- Roland Garros implications: Buse’s form suggests he could be a sleeper contender in the early rounds.
- Coaching adjustments: Both players’ teams will likely refine strategies ahead of the French Open.
FAQ: What This Win Means for Buse and Musetti
Q: How does Buse’s win affect his ATP ranking?
A: Buse’s victory over Musetti (No. 18) will likely push him into the top 80 for the first time, according to ATP rankings projections. A deep run in Hamburg could see him crack the top 60 by Roland Garros.

Q: What’s Musetti’s record on clay this season?
A: Musetti is 5-3 on clay in 2024, including losses to Alexander Zverev in Monte Carlo and Casper Ruud in Madrid.
Q: Can Buse really challenge at Roland Garros?
A: While no one expects Buse to win Paris, his Hamburg form suggests he could reach the third round. His biggest hurdle will be adjusting to the slower clay of the French Open, which favors defensive players like Wawrinka.