Red Bull Racing driver Isack Hadjar has explained what went wrong in his crash during the closed Formula 1 shakedown in Barcelona. The Frenchman was involved in the only major accident of the test week at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya on the second day. He shot off the track in wet conditions in the last corner.
The RB22 is said to have suffered significant damage to the rear. Red Bull had to rush in replacement parts to get the car ready in time for the team’s third and final day of testing. That third day eventually became Friday, with Max Verstappen behind the wheel all day. The four-time world champion completed 118 laps, bringing the team’s total to 303 laps during the shakedown.
Cause of accident
According to Hadjar, the tire change on the rainy asphalt played an important role in his crash. “It was nice to have a good day on Monday,” he began. “It was very productive and we were able to complete many more laps than we expected. Everything went quite smoothly and we only had some minor problems. On Tuesday it unfortunately went wrong: just after we changed from rain tires to intermediates I lost control in the last corner. I know the aftermath was not ideal for the team,” he continued.
Isack Hadjar, Red Bull Racing
Photo by: Red Bull Content Pool
Yet Hadjar also sees positive points. “The positive thing is that I am already starting to understand how certain things in the car work and what we can tinker with. Of course, there is still a lot to be adjusted, but so far it is progressing step by step.” The Frenchman also emphasized that the new generation of cars feels fundamentally different. “These cars are different, very different. There is generally less downforce and they are a little more predictable than the previous generation. They are a little easier to understand and play with.”
Team boss Laurent Mekies expects that the shakedown was still educational despite the crash. “We rode more than a hundred laps with Isack on Monday, which was positive. Tuesday was more difficult,” said Mekies. “Max drove in the morning and got one long run in before the rain came. We thought it would be educational to drive this new generation of cars in wet conditions.”
Laurent Mekies, Red Bull Racing Team Team Principal
Photo by: Red Bull Content Pool
“We deployed Isack in the afternoon and there was no chance of dry weather tyres. We did collect good data in the rain,” he continued. “He went off at the end of the day, in very treacherous conditions and while the car still needed a lot of adjustments. That was a shame, but these kinds of things happen. The amount of laps Isack drove and what he and the team learned from them should not be underestimated.”
Mekies also praised the mechanics and engineers for their work to get the car ready to drive again in time for Friday, the first test with the new, Ford-supported Red Bull Powertrains engine. “It was an incredible job, both on the track and on campus, to get the RB22 back on track for Friday,” he said. “It’s been long nights to ensure we could drive that third day of testing. Max was in the car all day, again completing over a hundred laps and providing extremely valuable feedback as we continue to learn about this new car and power unit.”
“We’re taking a lot out this week,” Mekies concluded. “Max’s experience and attention to detail will help us towards Bahrain and beyond. In terms of what we expected from the power unit in these first three days, I can only say how proud we are of everyone on base who delivered this. Ford was here to see it all come to life, so thanks to them for their role in this story.”
“Of course it is still early and nothing is perfect, but we are already learning and working on this as one team. It is a great first step, but it does not change the magnitude of the challenge ahead. We have to do our homework and move forward step by step.”
Photos: The Formula 1 shakedown in Barcelona
We want your opinion!
What would you like to see on Motorsport.com?
Take our 5-minute survey.
– The Motorsport.com team