Los Angeles Rams coach Sean McVay mentioned earlier this week that he had "a bit of dialogue" with defensive tackle Aaron Donald.
McVay's description allowed for optimism as to what could happen to Donald, who continues to stay away from the training camp, but now there's more reason to hope.
"There was – let's face it, there are intensified dialogues," McVay told reporters on Saturday on the Rams official website. "There is more – we feel positive about the direction in which these things go."
The 27-year-old Donald, who completes the last year of his rookie deal, has kept away from the activities when he was looking for a new contract.
In the offseason, the Rams defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh, Cornerback Marcus Peters and Cornerback Aqib Talib have added to an already good defense. On paper, Donald's presence with the three high-profile additions is enough to give his opponents sleepless nights.
The key, however, is that the Rams Front Office will come to a solution to bring Donald back with the team before the regular season.
"I think there is a certain urgency shown by us," McVay said. "I know that you know how much we appreciate him and appreciate Aaron, hopefully sooner or later we'll see something on the front, but it's still in the same boat."
Donald, one of the league's top defensive players, was in the training camp in 2017 before reporting on September 9. However, the missed time did not stop him from winning 41 tackles (32 solo) and 11 sacks en route to the NFL Defensive Player of the Year.