The investigators have identified the cause of the fatal helicopter crash in Leicester City and found that a faulty mechanical connection between the pilot's pedals and the tail rotor of the aircraft was to blame.

The owner of Leicester City, Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha, his co-workers Nusara Suknamai and Kaveporn Punpare, pilot Eric Swaffer and another passenger, Izabela Roza Lechowicz, died on 27 October after the businessman's helicopter crashed after the crash.

The aircraft, an Augusta AW169 of £ 6.7 million, reached a height of about 430 feet before falling to the ground in a parking lot next to the King Power Stadium and "quickly became involved in a violent fire after the impact" The authorities said time.

After a six-week investigation, the Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB) found that the failure of the tail rotor violently diverted the helicopter to the right and caused it to crash.

Images of the incident seemed to show that parts of the tail rotor may have fallen down in the air.

"The evidence gathered so far indicates that the loss of control of the helicopter is due to the tail rotor actuator control shaft being disconnected from the lever mechanism," the AAIB said in its eight-page report.

"Separating the control shaft from the lever prevents the tail rotor drive feedback mechanism from working, and the tail rotor drive does not respond to yaw control inputs.

"The loss of the feedback mechanism has made the yaw stops ineffective, allowing the tail rotor drive to further alter the pitch of the tail rotor blades until they reach the physical limit of their stroke. This led to an uncontrollable right-wing greed.

"The crown nut on the control shaft actuator has sufficient force and torque to weld it to the pin carrier and shear off the installed split pin.

"The observed condition of the duplex bearing and the increased torque load on the castellated nut remaining at the spider end of the shaft coincide with the rotation of the tail rotor actuator control shaft.

Leicester owner Vichai SrivaddhanaprabhaHelicopters crashed on October 27 in front of King Power Stadium (Reuters)

As the shaft rotated and a yaw control input was applied, the shaft was "unscrewed" by the nut, which disconnected the shaft from the operating lever mechanism and welded the nut to the post carrier. "

The report that added burnt fat was discovered at an important part of the control system.

It states: "The control shaft, lock nut and pin carrier and duplex bearing / slide unit were removed from the wreck and tested in detail.

"It has been found that the lock nut at the bearing end of the control shaft has a torque load that is significantly higher than the required mounting value.

"The inner races of the bearing could only be rotated by a few degrees in both directions by hand.

The greed of the tail rotor control did not react anymore (AAIB)

"The grease around the inside surface of the duplex camp was black grease.

"The section of the control shaft adjacent to this bearing surface showed signs of burnt fat and was discolored along its length."

Following the crash, the European Aviation Safety Agency ordered safety checks on tail rotors of AW169 helicopters and similar models.

The incident saw for the first time an AW169 helicopter in an accident.

The AAIB said it would continue to investigate the October crash.

Follow Independent Sport on Instagram. Here you will find the best pictures, videos and stories from around the world of sport.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.