Kahn announces talks with Bayern bosses
Status: 09:48 a.m
After his release from FC Bayern, Oliver Kahn speaks up. The long-time national goalkeeper does not feel at all failed and talks about his disappointment. But he also shakes hands with the new leadership.
Oliver Kahn has announced a clarifying meeting with the top management after the argument about his departure from FC Bayern. “We will – when everything has cooled down – sit down and talk about everything in peace,” said the 53-year-old to BILD. He defended his behavior after the breakup: “I’m sure everyone can understand that I’m disappointed that I wasn’t with the team yesterday.”
FC Bayern made the separation from the previous CEO Kahn and sports director Hasan Salihamidzic public on Saturday immediately after winning the eleventh championship title in a row. Both were informed of the decision on Friday after a supervisory board meeting. Club President Herbert Hainer described the conversation with Kahn as “not consensual”.
The former national goalkeeper Kahn was not at the decisive game in Cologne on Saturday and also not at the championship celebration. Hainer justified this with the process on Thursday and Friday. Kahn had previously written on Twitter that he had been “prohibited by the club”.
“It wasn’t an easy task,” says Kahn
After two years as CEO at FC Bayern, Kahn does not see himself as a failure. “I took on this responsibility because I wanted to give something back to the club,” said the long-time Bayern goalkeeper. “After the very successful time with Uli Hoeneß and Karl-Heinz Rummenigge, that was not an easy task.”
Nevertheless, Kahn looks back on his time with Munich with positive feelings. “The club is currently in a transition phase, which is always difficult and in which mistakes sometimes happen. Even if the current situation is not easy, for me the many great experiences with FC Bayern far outweigh the negative ones,” he said. “The irritations of the past few days will not change that.”