Galerie: (31-01-2023) MBB vs. St. Louis
Bronx, NY – To quote Fordham head coach Keith Urgo, “It’s a great day to be an Aries!” It’s starting to get easier to get a Taylor Swift concert ticket than a Fordham men’s basketball ducat (but at least the Fordham ticket doesn’t incur a Ticketmaster fee). For the second game in a row, a sold-out crowd at Rose Hill Gym was treated to a great game of basketball as the Rams came from behind to defeat Saint Louis University, 75-65, in a Atlantic 10 game.
With the win, Fordham’s fifth in a row, the Rams improve to 18-4 overall, 6-3 in the Atlantic 10, while St. Louis, who entered the game in first place in the conference, drops to 15-7 overall, 7-2 in conference.
The Rams were led by the graduate student guard Darius Quisenberry who led all scorers with 27 points, his second straight 20-point game, and he added five rebounds and four steals as the grad student advanced Khalid Moorethe Atlantic 10 co-player of the week, finished with 20 points and nine rebounds.
Fordham trailed by four, 55-51 with 7:12 to go, but then scored five consecutive points to take their first halftime lead, and the first since a 4-2 lead after 1:15 of play. , 59-58, capped by a Quisenberry three with 5:16 to go.
The Billikens managed to tie the game at 63 two minutes later before the Rams scored six unanswered runs, taking a 69-63 lead over a pair of Antrell Charlton free throws with just over a minute remaining.
The Ram froze the game by making six free throws in the final minute.
Take away food
• Darius Quisenberry marked with two digits for 19e time in 21 games this year.
• It was Quisenberry’s seventh 20-point game this year.
• Khalid Moore notched his sixth 20-point game of the season.
•Abdou Tsimbila – The best of Abdou Tsimbila blocked a pair of shots tonight, the 18the times in 22 games this year he has recorded a block.
• Fordham held Saint Louis 11.8 points below their season scoring average, the fourth time in the last five games the Rams have held an opponent below their season average (the only game which they didn’t on Saturday. Bonaventure scored 68 and was averaging 67.1 ppg).
• The Atlantic 10’s 6-3 start to the season faces the 2005-06 and 2006-07 teams for the best A-10 start.
• The Rams limited the Billikens to one field goal in the final even minutes.
• Fordham held Yuri Collins of Saint Louis, who entered the game leading the NCAA in assists (10/6/game) in one assist with four turnovers.
• The Rams have trailed in the second half in each of the last five wins.
• The last time the Rams won five consecutive games with A-10 was in 2007.
• The last Fordham team to win at least 18 games was the 2006-07 team which went 18-12.
• New York Yankees general manager Brian Cashman was at the game.
• It was Latin Night at Rose Hill Gym as the game featured Latin music and food from local Latin restaurants.
14 – Wins at Rose Hill Gym this year, tying the school record set by the 2015-2016 team.
14 – Steals recorded by the Rams, corresponding to the last game of the season against George Washington.
27 – 20-point career games for Darius Quisenberry.
680 – Fordham’s all-time wins at Rose Hill Gym
1,572 – All-time wins for the Rams.
1,996 – Career collegiate points for Darius Quisenberry.
• The Rams continue the 2022-23 Atlantic 10 season by traveling to Richmond, Va. to face the University of Richmond Spiders at Robins Center on Sunday, February 5 at 12:00 p.m.
• This will be the 32nd meeting between Fordham and Richmond on hardwood.
• The Spiders lead the all-time series, which began in 1985, 23-8, and have won the last four games, including an 83-70 win last year on January 18 at Rose Hill Gym as Jacob Gilliard scored a Spiders-high 31 points, while Darius Quisenberry had 23 for the Rams.