The unrest at HSV continues
Trial against suspected doping offender is pending. “He’s a part of us,” says his coach. But who will also be part of the supervisory board in the future? A decision was postponed.
Dhe place in the table? With second place absolutely on target! The squad? No worries! In terms of sport, there was hardly any news for HSV coach Tim Walter before the away game on Sunday (1.30 p.m. / Sky) at Hansa Rostock. And so the 47-year-old had to deal with questions on two other topics at the match day press conference on Thursday that do not belong to his actual core area of responsibility: the parallel meeting of the shareholders of Fußball AG and the oral hearing scheduled for Friday against the under HSV professional Mario Vuskovic who is suspected of doping.
“We’ll see everything tomorrow, but I can’t anticipate that,” said the HSV coach before the first of two scheduled hearings before the sports court of the German Football Association (DFB) in Frankfurt / Main. Nevertheless, his thoughts are with his currently suspended player: “I’m hoping for something good for us and especially for the boy.”
According to Walter, he had telephone and personal contact with the 21-year-old Croatian, in whom exogenous erythropoietin (EPO) had been detected in an A and B sample. “None of us knows what’s going on in him and nobody will find out,” said Walter. “He has to make up the story with himself the most. I can only say that we are there for him. And so does my team.” Vuskovic, who has been suspended since an injunction on November 15 and has to keep fit alone, faces a four-year ban in the worst case. Walter emphasized: “He’s a part of us.” Walter was in his element when the conversation turned to the north duel on Sunday at Hansa Rostock. Walter expects a “heated atmosphere” from the people of Mecklenburg. It’s nice because “we like that kind of atmosphere,” said the coach, who added with a view to the spectators: “If everything stays within reason.”
The fact that there were ups and downs in the 4-2 win over Eintracht Braunschweig at the start of the second half of the season was normal for the coach: “After an eleven-week break, not everything can be taken for granted.” He confirmed that his team was on a “very, very good path”. If that also applies to the club and its bodies, which are not always united, the 47-year-old would certainly be happy too.
Control body remains in office
The only problem for HSV is that the personnel debates beyond the field will continue for the time being. As the club announced in the late afternoon, the election of the new supervisory board was postponed at the eagerly awaited meeting. This means that the control committee, under the leadership of eV President Marcell Jansen, will remain in office until the next Annual General Meeting, which is planned in the near future.
According to the club announcement, the supervisory board consists of only six people. Detlef Dinsel is no longer there, whose dismissal, according to media reports, the shareholders and the Supporters Club, by far the largest department of the parent club, had demanded. They accuse the entrepreneur of too little connection to Hamburg and HSV and too little expertise. Dinsel had come to the supervisory board in place of the CFO Thomas Wüstefeld, who has since resigned. But his mandate has expired.
In addition, Stephan von Bülow and Henrik Köncke should move into the control committee on Thursday to replace Andreas Peters and the currently only woman, Lena Schrum.
New meetings are pending
The selection of candidates for the control committee will be intensively discussed and coordinated internally by the time of the next general meeting, the statement said. “I see this decision as a good compromise because we are approaching each other,” said Jansen.
“We had a lot of controversial discussions that should ultimately lead to a positive result for HSV,” said Jansen. In the end, however, there were only two concrete results: The actions of the AG board of directors were approved for the 2021/22 financial year and the topic of sustainability is to be anchored in the AG statutes.
“This will haunt me until old age”
Apparently, a former HSV professional had little joy in his time in Hamburg. Defender Rick van Drongelen, now under contract with second division soccer team FC Hansa Rostock, looks back on his time at Hamburger SV with mixed feelings. With HSV, he was relegated from the Bundesliga in 2018, among other things. “It was certainly not a happy time from a sporting point of view,” said the 24-year-old Dutchman to “Bild”. “I also tore my cruciate ligaments in 2020. The fact that we didn’t get promoted to the Bundesliga with HSV is annoying and will haunt me well into old age.”
Van Drongelen is looking forward to the north duel with his ex-club: “Of course it’s a special game for me. After all, I experienced a lot there in four years, got to meet nice people and friends.” The Dutchman is currently on loan from Union Berlin to FC Hansa. When time permits, he continues to watch every Hamburg game. For him it is clear: “This year my ex-club is the promotion favorite in league 2.”